Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about moving

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about moving

I will be moving starting tomorrow to a new address. If I want to apply for a credit card will this affect my chance of approval if it is a brand new address? Should I apply for the other card I want to get before I do a change of address?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about moving

@Anonymous wrote:
I will be moving starting tomorrow to a new address. If I want to apply for a credit card will this affect my chance of approval if it is a brand new address? Should I apply for the other card I want to get before I do a change of address?

I don't think CC companies worry about new addresse unless you move around a whole lot. They consider that a lack of stability and it makes them nervous. I also don't think it wise to apply for a new card while in the midst of moving. Credit cards generally are not forwarded,

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It could possibly trigger verification requests.   Have you updated your address with all of your current lenders?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I have not yet. I was going to wait to take possession of the property tomorrow before I did that.
Message 4 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

In my personal experience (I moved around quite often back in my 20s) the main issue to be concerned with is delivery of the card.

As it was mentioned above, credit cards (and sometimes even bank statements) are often marked "Do Not Forward" and they will be returned to the sender. 

Also, I had an issue once with my mail to the new address being returned because the mail carrier wasn't aware I had moved in (I previously had used a PO Box so I didn't need a change of address form).  Several of my bills that I had already updated the address were returned to sender, and it required a call to the post office to fix. 

Good luck with your move!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently moved within the last year. My suggestion would be to update the address with your other lenders first. Most likely at least one of them will report the updated address to the credit bureaus, give it some time if you can. I think I waited a few weeks, had no issues whatsoever. This was with Barclay nonetheless...they can be pretty picky with verification. Good luck!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.