Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about paying my current balance sometime in the future

tag
delaney1
Established Contributor

Question about paying my current balance sometime in the future

I've never set up a "pay current balance" for the future. I always just log in and pay the same day, so I want to make sure my thinking is correct.

For example, today my balance is $1000. Today, I set up a payment of current balance dated 9/2. On 9/2 my balance is $1100. The amount paid would be $1100, right? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about paying my current balance sometime in the future

Wrong, I think.

I believe setting up future payments means you set a specific date and a specific amount.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

I've never set up a "pay current balance" for the future. I always just log in and pay the same day, so I want to make sure my thinking is correct.

For example, today my balance is $1000. Today, I set up a payment of current balance dated 9/2. On 9/2 my balance is $1100. The amount paid would be $1100, right? 

Correct.  If you set it to pay the balance, it will pay whatever balance is owed.  Not half of it unless you set it up exactly the way you want it.

Message 3 of 10
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@delaney1 wrote:

Correct.  If you sent it to pay the balance, it will pay whatever balance is owed.  Not half of it unless you set it up exactly the way you want it.

Great! Thank you.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it may depend on the bank. With American Express, for example, your "current balance" is the statement balance minus any credits or payments received (what's currently due). You're still PIF by paying the statement balance but it isn't going to adjust itself upward to include your new unbilled balance. Hope this helps provide a little insight a little bit. Perhaps contact your bank to confirm how they define "current balance"?

Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it may depend on the bank. With American Express, for example, your "current balance" is the statement balance minus any credits or payments received (what's currently due). You're still PIF by paying the statement balance but it isn't going to adjust itself upward to include your new unbilled balance. Hope this helps provide a little insight a little bit. Perhaps contact your bank to confirm how they define "current balance"?

No, I think Y-I-M has it correctly stated. Even with AMEX, there is a distinction between 'Statement Balance' and 'Total Balance'. Total Balance includes new transactions as well. In this scenario, if Total Balance were selected, the following statement would only show those transactions which posted after the Payment Date and before the next Statement date, not transactions that posted after the current Statement if they posted prior to the Payment Date that included "Total Balance".

Said another way, your credit card Total Balance would go to zero at each autopayment date of "Total Balance" being paid.

Pay Current Balance.JPG

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't read it as OP is setting up a recurrent payment, just a one time payment but for a future date.

In which case, when you are telling it to pay the balance, I think it may be today's balance. I have seen on some systems that when you choose to pay the balance, it lists the balance. So you are choosing the option that says "pay current balance of $1000". If that is the case, I don't think it would pay the 1100 on 9/2. The Amex example above shows this too- you are selecting to pay the total balance of 324.76, not what the total balance will be on a future date when you want the payment to post.

When you set up and authorize a one time payment, it seems like you would have to authorize the amount, which you couldn't do for future charges.

Message 7 of 10
delaney1
Established Contributor

LOL you guys are cracking me up. I completely see how both ways could apply to this situation which is why I asked the question. Tidegirl, yes, it is for one payment.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delaney1 wrote:

LOL you guys are cracking me up. I completely see how both ways could apply to this situation which is why I asked the question.

I guess you will have to come back and tell us 'cause obviously we don't know the correct answer. Smiley Wink Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@delaney1 wrote:

What does the page to set up a future payment indicate on your creditor's site?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.