cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about paying off charge cards (please help!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about paying off charge cards (please help!)

Hi everyone!

I just recently got the Amex PRG. I understand that my balance needs to be paid in full each month, but how long do you have after you charge something to your card?

For instance, I just payed for a full trip to New Orleans and will pay it off when everyone gives me the money for their portion, which I expect to take a week or so. However, once the amount posts to my account, is it possible to only have a couple days to pay this off? How do I know what the pay-by date is (my current balance is 0)?

I would appreciate some assistance with this. Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about paying off charge cards (please help!)

The payment will be due 25 days after the statement date of the charge. For instance if you charge today and your statement closes on April 2nd, payment would be due on April 27th. You can always find your statement closing date next to the current balance when logged in to your AmEx account.
Message 2 of 4
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Your due date will be about 25 days after your statement closes.  So for example your statement might run from march 20th through april 30th, which would then be due on may 24th or whatever.  It's just like a credit card, except you don't carry a balance on a charge card, you are expected to pay in full each month.  (Amex does offer pay over time if you have a large purchase or need more time to pay the full balance, but if that's the case you should be looking at more of a credit card than a charge card.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 3 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Good info so far... I'll just add that if the assigned due date doesn't work for you it's also possible to call/chat with them and have the date changed.   Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.