Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about removing myself from AU accts

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Question about removing myself from AU accts

Hey guys ! We just started building our credit the start of 2016 , my fiancé added me on several of his new cc accts and I added him to mine , bc both of our credit factors said neither of us had enough positive credit lines . Anyways now that I have gotten my own credit going pretty well and so has he I was thinking maybe it would look better if I didn't have so many new accts I'm such a short time , so my questions are if I remove myself from his how will it affect my AAOA ? Would it hurt or help? All the accts are pretty new 6mths old or so , my current AAOA is 1.5 with oldest acct being 4.5 years old ? If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it ! Thanks
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about removing myself from AU accts

To give you an exact answer we will need the number of cards, how many are AU, and other information.

In general terms, if you have AU cards younger than your AAoA, it will help your average to remove them from your report. If the AU are older than your AAoA, it will reduce your average if you remove them.

There are some products that only give the AAoA of open accounts. FICO score calculates your AAoA with both open and close accounts. In other words, your AAoA could be different.

Message 2 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

OK sorry I have 5 accounts all opened this year , then I am AU on 3 other accounts , which are younger than most of my accounts .
Message 3 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I know bf I added those 3 accts as AU my AAOA was right at 2 years then it dropped quite a bit
Message 4 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Also I wanted removed bc my fiancé is carrying a balance on one of them that Is kinda high and it's messing my UTI up, he is taking advantage of a Promo for that one card.
Message 5 of 7
newhis
Valued Contributor

Removing 3 AU accounts younger than your AAoA will help your AAoA, but may hurt your UTIL, it all depends how much the AUs are used and their limits.

They may be other things you can do to help your score. I don't think what is needed to remove the AUs will help that much.

EDIT: if the AU is hurting your UTIL, then it is hurting your score. Many lenders will not remove you from the reports, you may need to dispute the accounts to get the removed. I think first you need to contact the bank to be removed, don't know if you can do it or the primary should do it. Good luck.

Message 6 of 7
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the advice !
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.