Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about score increase potential with new card

tag
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Question about score increase potential with new card

I just opened my first credit card, Cap One with $200 limit.  I have no other revolving debt or outstanding loans.  The score simulator is saying my EQ will go up to a 600-618, and my TU will go up to a 640.  Do you think that score increase estimate by the simulator is accurate? Those seem like huge boosts (roughly 20-40 point increase).

Also, I have had the card now for about a week, I am wondering when it will show up?  When the first bill hits in 30 days?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about score increase potential with new card

The simulator is exactly that...a simulator. If you use the one FICO offers, it is fairly accurate, but the only way to see what will actually happen is to check your score for real here. As for when the new card will show up, the inquiry should show soon if it hasn't yet and the new account will show up after the first statement posts.

Message 2 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Sign up for something free like Credit Karma (which pulls info from TransUnion) and/or Quizzle (I haven't used this one but I think it is Experian).  You'll be able to see when the card hits your report.  Then you can decide if you want to spend money on a FICO score to see what score change you got. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.  Yes, the simulator was through MyFico, and  I already have the score watch program here..and even though they are FAKO's through USAA as well.  Hopefully it will in fact increase like it estimates.  That would be awesome.

Message 4 of 5
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

When my new BarclayCard showed up on my CRs, each of my scores increased about 30 pts.  Prior to that, I only had 1 other revolving account with a CL of $320.   Cap 1 seems a bit slower to report.  I received my first statement a week ago but the account has yet to show up.  Not sure how this account will affect my scores.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.