cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about signing the back of cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about signing the back of cards.

I just don't see what the big deal is. MC & Visa T&C state that writing "See ID" actually makes the card(s) invalid. Why not just sign the card? If not, be prepared to present your ID if a merchant checks to see if your card is not signed.
Message 71 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously I think it is, or I wouldn't have said so. Presumably you do as well, as you're taking the time to respond. And, I'm guessing that there are a fair few who agree with me, since there are 6 pages of this thread, and it keeps on getting bumped by various parties.

For Visa/MC, the signing of the card is a clear condition of the Issuer's T&C period.  I have no views on this.  If they change it, fine.  If not, fine too.

My response is only to point out those who "knowingly" violate this T&C simply because they don't like it (for whatever reason), while deriding others for violating "other" portions of the same T&C they happen to "like."  

T&C of Visa, MasterCard, are not the same as T&C of the forums.  And, the rant will not change that, sorry if it offends you.

For whatever reason, you and I appear to have (at least, from my point of view) communication issues, but that’s ok.

I’ll try to clarify.

I’m not trying to change TOS on this site. I have no issues with any portion of it; and, only bring it up when I feel a need for clarity.  For example, it is a violation of this site’s TOS to be un-FSR, discuss anything illegal, advocate MS, or discuss/advocate violating the T&C of a CC Issuer.

Doesn’t offend me, but blatant hypocrisy and BS irritate me. Call it a personal failing.

Finally, what I meant were those who violate this portion of Visa/MC’s T&C (not this forum’s, which is private property and the rules can be set to whatever myFico deems fitting, of course), while berating others for violating other portions of the very same Visa/MC T&C that they themselves violate when it suits them.  

That’s it.

Message 72 of 75
Open123
Super Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I couldn’t care less about what Merchants know or don’t know. If they violate a portion of the T&C with me that I find inconvenient, I’ll confront them by offering to call the Issuer.

When it comes to this portion of the T&C, people here either: (1) knowingly and blatantly violate it, and even boast about it; (2) are completely ignorant of it coming up with ad hoc policies to suite their views; and, (3) these same very people reprimand “others” for violating the T&C.

(Mod Cut)

(Mod Cut)

Whether or not to sign the back of the card is a valuable discussion as to the safety measures that are in place and how to best keep your information private. While I have an opinion on what I think is the best method of doing so, I recognize that others have a point on some topics and may change my methods going forwards. The lack of merchant checks and the inability of the cards to hold standard pen ink are major drawbacks here, which may lead some people to believe that their information is best protected by hoping that the merchant will ask for an ID, either by writing "SEE ID" or by not signing at all.

However, if you feel this strongly about the subject, perhaps you should request that a mod lock this thread. It certainly seems to be inflaming passions and devolving from discourse into a "he said/she said" argument between extremes. I will also be hoping that chip/pin, which would resolve this issue, arrives in the U.S. sometime in the next 50 years.

Vary well said.  Please cease devolving.  If Open123 wishes to app for moderator, go for it.  Until then, getting hot under the collar over this serves no purpose.   The thread gets me thinking about my practices, but relating this discussion to forum policies is not a factual comparison, only if someone is feeling a bit misunderstood.

If I recall, you've asked me to "calm down" on three separate occasions.  To save you the trouble, I'm not...er..."hot under the collar."  As I've mentioned, I do get irritated with BS & hypocrisy, and point it out when I find it relevant.  If doing so is a violation of FSR, then I'll refrain immediately.

Is it a violation?

Message 73 of 75
jsucool76
Super Contributor

popcorn.gif

Message 74 of 75
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I couldn’t care less about what Merchants know or don’t know. If they violate a portion of the T&C with me that I find inconvenient, I’ll confront them by offering to call the Issuer.

When it comes to this portion of the T&C, people here either: (1) knowingly and blatantly violate it, and even boast about it; (2) are completely ignorant of it coming up with ad hoc policies to suite their views; and, (3) these same very people reprimand “others” for violating the T&C.

(Mod Cut)

(Mod Cut)

Whether or not to sign the back of the card is a valuable discussion as to the safety measures that are in place and how to best keep your information private. While I have an opinion on what I think is the best method of doing so, I recognize that others have a point on some topics and may change my methods going forwards. The lack of merchant checks and the inability of the cards to hold standard pen ink are major drawbacks here, which may lead some people to believe that their information is best protected by hoping that the merchant will ask for an ID, either by writing "SEE ID" or by not signing at all.

However, if you feel this strongly about the subject, perhaps you should request that a mod lock this thread. It certainly seems to be inflaming passions and devolving from discourse into a "he said/she said" argument between extremes. I will also be hoping that chip/pin, which would resolve this issue, arrives in the U.S. sometime in the next 50 years.

Vary well said.  Please cease devolving.  If Open123 wishes to app for moderator, go for it.  Until then, getting hot under the collar over this serves no purpose.   The thread gets me thinking about my practices, but relating this discussion to forum policies is not a factual comparison, only if someone is feeling a bit misunderstood.

If I recall, you've asked me to "calm down" on three separate occasions.  To save you the trouble, I'm not...er..."hot under the collar."  As I've mentioned, I do get irritated with BS & hypocrisy, and point it out when I find it relevant.  If doing so is a violation of FSR, then I'll refrain immediately.

Is it a violation?

The way you say things is what is important and yes if you say it in a way that is degrading to others and/or attacking them then it would be a TOS violation. You and everyone else is free to disagree with other posters but what must be maintained at all times is respect and civility, there is no negotating on this. Its not that hard to disagree with someone else in a respectful manner. Saying that there is BS & hypocrisy isnt a respectful way of getting your point across. We all have our pet peeves and have to control ourselves on a public forum otherwise it would degrade into nothing but yelling and shouting matches between posters. With that being said this thread has run its course and is now closed to further comments.

gdale6

myFico Moderator.

Message 75 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.