cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about signing the back of cards.

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Question about signing the back of cards.

@hot4u wrote:

Aloha,

I never sign my cards either.

You would be surprised 80-90% do not even look or ask for an ID.

Ditto, and ditto.  They just care if I sign when prompted in some fashion, or sign the receipt.  No one looks at my cards, except for small businesses.  Many foreigners do not sign the backs of cards as well.  This was habit from their home countries.  Why make it easier for someone to copy your signature?

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 75
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I don't sign my cards because I haven't found a pen that writes well on the slippery signature boxSmiley Indifferent

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 12 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work at a big-box store and we're told to not ask for ID unless the register prompts us too (some checks, alcohol etc..). So even if your card says "see ID" we're not supposed to ask.

Message 13 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to MasterCard & VISA's TOS writing "see ID" on the cards make them invalid. I sign my cards with permanent marker.
Message 14 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently they have to accept MasterCard or Visa even if the customer doesn't show ID... https://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm
Message 15 of 75
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Apparently they have to accept MasterCard or Visa even if the customer doesn't show ID... https://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm

This applies if the card is signed.   I don't know why there is ever a dispute about this question.  As others have said, the rules say that you HAVE to sign the card with your signature to make it valid.   If you present an unsigned card or "signed" with SEE ID or similar, the merchant should make you sign it and check against another source (or decline the sale)

Leaving the card unsigned allows a thief to put anything there that they can match, and if a merchant could document that the sig on the card matched the sig on the receipt, you would be on the hook.

Of course, in reality, no-one looks at these things at all.   But the legal position is clear

Message 16 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This applies if the card is signed.   I don't know why there is ever a dispute about this question.  As others have said, the rules say that you HAVE to sign the card with your signature to make it valid.   If you present an unsigned card or "signed" with SEE ID or similar, the merchant should make you sign it and check against another source (or decline the sale)

Leaving the card unsigned allows a thief to put anything there that they can match, and if a merchant could document that the sig on the card matched the sig on the receipt, you would be on the hook.

Of course, in reality, no-one looks at these things at all.   But the legal position is clear

I'm curious as to whether anybody claiming things about the legal position of the contract between cardholder and credit card company is actually a lawyer. If not, we have opinions on what should happen, but asserting that a user legally has to do something or the legal ramifications if the user don't is a stretch beyond the knowledge of anybody here.

Message 17 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

My own opinion is that the failure to check that the card is signed constitutes a tacit waiver of that portion of the contract. The user's failure to sign the card, coupled with use of the card and acceptance of payment by the CCC could also constitute a modification of the original terms of the contract and agreement to that modification by the company. However, that one might need some sort of method of informing the CCC that the card isn't signed. Additionally, as I am not a lawyer, this is not a legal opinion.

It is also likely that if the signature comparison were to take place, it would be against another source of your signature, not the one that is on the back of your card.

I have never had any place turn down my card because it wasn't signed. Some have asked for ID, but no place has turned it down.

Message 18 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious as to whether anybody claiming things about the legal position of the contract between cardholder and credit card company is actually a lawyer. If not, we have opinions on what should happen, but asserting that a user legally has to do something or the legal ramifications if the user don't is a stretch beyond the knowledge of anybody here.

LTL is right.  While nothing may happen if you don't sign the card, it is legally required by the card issuer.

https://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/Unsigned_Credit_Cards-(Global).pdf

Message 19 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally never sign the cards. The only issue I've had is at the USPS. For some reason the post office(at least the one near me) won't accept any card unless its signed. Told me its their policy. Other than that I haven't had any other issues.
Message 20 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.