cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about signing the back of cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about signing the back of cards.

I've never signed a card lol

Message 31 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think writing the wrong zip or pin on your card is better. If stolen they will try it thinking you're dumb, and transactions get declined before they are fraud.
Message 32 of 75
chbartel
Regular Contributor

So what doesn't make sense on all this is when you pay at the pump for gas. No one checks to see if it's signed at all.
Message 33 of 75
chbartel
Regular Contributor

And for whatever it's worth. Several local post offices have signs that state they will not run credit card unless back of card is signed
Message 34 of 75
ddemari
Super Contributor

the usps is STRICT on checking with credit cards, strict strict strict LOL. 

Message 35 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

the usps is STRICT on checking with credit cards, strict strict strict LOL. 

Mine definitely isn't. 

Message 36 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

USPS has never checked my cards. I havent signed any since I got my first last year and see no need. 90% of my transactions are online (clearly no ones checking for a signature) and the rare times I do have to hand the card over or swipe it in person not once has anyone checked for a signature. Restaurants, USPS, dental office, doctors office etc., No ones bothered to check or ask for ID.
Message 37 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cmikul wrote:

so, this has always been a source of conflicting information and I've always been completely lost as to why credit card companies have a signature plate on the back of cards.

I know the CCC's have always said sign your card immediately upon reciept and this has never made sense to me.

I never sign them.  I remember about 20yrs ago it would be a huge source of argument at vendors.  I would have vendors tell me the card was not valid without a signature and they would not accept it.

I would insist that I do not sign cards for the express intent that they should be asking me for my I.D. with my card and that will verify my likeness and my signature on the I.D. should match what I sign in front of them on the reciept.

I've always held the belief that if you sign it you just made it easy for someone to forge your signature since they now know just how it should look. 

I think this conflict is really a mute point in today's world as no one pays attention to any of it....what's on the card or what I sign.  I let my kids sign most of my receipts.

But I remember when I was younger you could fight a transaction with the CCC and show them that your signature was not accurate and they would dismiss it.

Anyway...any thoughts?

My point exactly!

Techincally, MC/Visa tells merchants that they should go off the sig on the back of your card and they are technically not suppose to ask for your ID (Amex doesn't care, and Discover wasn't popular for me to know back than what their policy is, when I worked retail).

Personally, I have never had a problem with this except for two places.  But that's also because 99% of my shopping is done online, or via restaurants (who I think are always too busy to ask), or small transactions at cafes and such and the amount in the transaction is too small for them to give a hoot.

BUT, ironially enough, while I can ring up a few hundred at anthro, I always run into a problem at H&M-- however, most of the cashiers would just want to see another form of card, usually another CC.

Post office..horrible...except for one friendly person at a particular post office...which I always go to now.

I mean, my cc info has been stolen only ONCE in the past decade, and, it was done either with a scanner or virtually (probably scanner) so the card was still in my possession and they just made a copy of it..which they can sub in the name for theirs on the card to use their own ID/Fake ID...or just sign the back...

I just set all my cards to alert me of any transaction over $1.  It's the best defense, because if folks want to steal your info, they will steal your info.  You can only take caution, and put safeguards to alert yourself to prevent further damage, from the initial breach.

Message 38 of 75
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I sign mine with a sharpie. Every single one of my cards since it is a legal requirement of the cardholder. I've been through numerous disputes with various lender and never once did they ask if my card was signed or not. In most cases of there isn't a customer swipe terminal and I hand the card to the CSR, they look for a signature and ask to see an ID. There's nothing to be gained from not signing it - especially as more merchants move to chip enabled readers.
Message 39 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess now-a-days this will be less of an issue as more people use the mobile wallet features. You can just tap and go now. Bring goods to the register. Get the total. Tap and you're out. Lol
Message 40 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.