Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about something Equifax told me

tag
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Question about something Equifax told me

Okay, I just talked to Equifax and they told me that I can't acknowledge a debt through them.  They said I can only do that by speaking to the creditor. They said the nature of a dispute is not acknowledging the debt.  For example, if you are disputing your balance you are, in essence, saying I don't owe you.  So when I disputed the balance with them, I did not acknowledge the debt for lawsuit purposes.

Does that sound correct?
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about something Equifax told me

creditgirl wrote:
Okay, I just talked to Equifax and they told me that I can't acknowledge a debt through them.  They said I can only do that by speaking to the creditor. They said the nature of a dispute is not acknowledging the debt.  For example, if you are disputing your balance you are, in essence, saying I don't owe you.  So when I disputed the balance with them, I did not acknowledge the debt for lawsuit purposes.

Does that sound correct?

You do not acknowledge through the CRA only dispute and hope the creditor agrees.

Message 2 of 6
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

Thanks Brammy.  So, you think I'm okay and they can't come back and sue me now? I know there are no absolutes with creditors, I'm just asking your opinion.

Thanks again!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditgirl wrote:
Thanks Brammy.  So, you think I'm okay and they can't come back and sue me now? I know there are no absolutes with creditors, I'm just asking your opinion.

Thanks again!

Depending on the SOL in your state, sure they can sue you.  But nothing you did thru the CRA gives them more grounds.

Message Edited by Brammy on 09-05-2007 05:53 PM
Message 4 of 6
creditgirl
Regular Contributor

The sol is 3 years so unless they are able to make my dispute of the balance, they can't sue me.  That's why my concern was whether they could consider me disputing the balance an acknowledgment of the debt. Equifax says not, I can only acknowledge the debt with them.

Is that a little clearer.  I know I've said alot and probably not said all the right things.  I'm a newbie trying to get the hang of it all! Smiley Happy

Thanks!
FICO 9/1/07 FICO 9/26/07
TU--534 TU--538
EX---552 EX---562
EQ---454 EQ---454
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you were perfectly clear.  Brammy's alter ego just has a very weird sense of humor.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.