cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about spending limit

Regular Contributor

Question about spending limit

Hello guys

I recently got approved from BofA Secured Credit Card (My first CC!) with CL of $300 and spending around with it.

Got some questions for you guys,

 

1) I pay balance every month in full, do I need to spend 30%($100) of my CL($300)? or does 30% rule just apply when I carry blance to next month? or am I good to use till reach $300 CL?

2) I paid some of balance before closing date, Can someone explain me how it's going to effect on credit score and credit limit? does it resets CL for that month?

 

Thanks! 

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit

Congrats on the approval! I have the boa partial secured cc with a 500.00 limit. I pay it off each week so that I don't have to worry about what percentage to use. I think the 30% only matters if you let it hit your credit. If you have a checking account with them, it's so easy to transfer a payment to the card and it normally posts that night. The boa card opened all of my credit doors when it hit my credit. It showed that someone out there trusted me and I have gotten all the cards in my signature line since then! Cat Very Happy

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 2 of 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit


snowkitty wrote:

Congrats on the approval! I have the boa partial secured cc with a 500.00 limit. I pay it off each week so that I don't have to worry about what percentage to use. I think the 30% only matters if you let it hit your credit. If you have a checking account with them, it's so easy to transfer a payment to the card and it normally posts that night. The boa card opened all of my credit doors when it hit my credit. It showed that someone out there trusted me and I have gotten all the cards in my signature line since then! Cat Very Happy


Thanks!

I checked credit karma and score was 713! (good score to start off I guess?)

I currently have non-BofA bank account and I just enrolled in their automatic bill payment & using my credit union bill payment feature.

could you paraphrase  "30% only matters if you let it hit your credit."?

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 3 of 9
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit

The amount that matters is (in most cases) the balance you have on the card on the day your monthly statement is issued. That's the day you want to have 30% or less.

 

Most people have found that it helps to have something on you card on that day -- maybe as little as 1% utilization, but something to show activity. But show that you're using no more than 30% of your total available credit.

 

Great start on your journey!

Message 4 of 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit


Gunnar419 wrote:

The amount that matters is (in most cases) the balance you have on the card on the day your monthly statement is issued. That's the day you want to have 30% or less.

 

Most people have found that it helps to have something on you card on that day -- maybe as little as 1% utilization, but something to show activity. But show that you're using no more than 30% of your total available credit.

 

Great start on your journey!


So I will be okay as long as I keep paying them before monthly statement is issuesd right?

Then maybe leave $10 till monthly statement issues then pay it on statement issue day.

 

Helped a lot! Thanks!

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 5 of 9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit

About the only time reported balance will matter is when you are applying for new credit or increases to your current credit limit on a card. I would wait a few months, maybe six, before thinking about another card.

 

Since this is a BoA card I would make sure you pay the entire balance every month. This will help when it comes time to unsecure the card. One payment a month, either after the statement cuts or just before. Personally, I would wait for the statement to cut then pay the balance a few days after it cuts. Then when you are ready to apply for another card or some other form of credit, I would make sure no more than 1-9% (up to $26.99) reports on the statement. This will help to maximize your credit score.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit

You've got the right idea, Jason. But also, Ohio is right about waiting 6 months before applying for anything else. Give the secured card time to age. In the meantime, utilization doesn't really matter. But when you get ready to apply, get that util down to 1-9% before the statement cuts. And then pay the rest off after the statement cuts.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit


OhioCPA wrote:

About the only time reported balance will matter is when you are applying for new credit or increases to your current credit limit on a card. I would wait a few months, maybe six, before thinking about another card.

 

Since this is a BoA card I would make sure you pay the entire balance every month. This will help when it comes time to unsecure the card. One payment a month, either after the statement cuts or just before. Personally, I would wait for the statement to cut then pay the balance a few days after it cuts. Then when you are ready to apply for another card or some other form of credit, I would make sure no more than 1-9% (up to $26.99) reports on the statement. This will help to maximize your credit score.


Awesome, Thanks

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 8 of 9
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about spending limit


SnackTrader wrote:
You've got the right idea, Jason. But also, Ohio is right about waiting 6 months before applying for anything else. Give the secured card time to age. In the meantime, utilization doesn't really matter. But when you get ready to apply, get that util down to 1-9% before the statement cuts. And then pay the rest off after the statement cuts.

Understood, I will just wait till BofA offers me unsecured card!

Thank you for the help guys!

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 9 of 9