Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about store cards

tag
Math_Rocks
Established Contributor

Question about store cards

I have Kohl's, Mervyn's and Macy's. I just paid off $600 balance on Kohl's and haven't used Mervyn's in like 10 years (but it was my first card so I'm glad its still reporting). I used to regularly use Macy's but, unfortunately, now live in a state with no Macy's. Smiley Sad

All of these are helping with my utilization but I'm concerned that my Macy's card will get closed for non-use. But if I were to use it to order say some Clinique online, wouldn't that hurt too because I'm suddenly using a card that hasn't been used for a long time?
Filed Chapter 13 April 2012. Case successfully closed May 2017, about 1 month after 60th payment. FAKO scores on close date: TU 695 EQ 697. Received discharge July 11th - took forever! Real EX day of discharge 624.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Logical
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about store cards

What may hurt worse is buying something you may not need. Let the cards be a servant. Unless you are getting an important loan in the next few months who cares if Fico goes up or down a little.

Mervyn's may be a bigger problem. Do a search with the key words "Mervyn's" and "bankruptcy"
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about store cards

Math_Rocks wrote:
I have Kohl's, Mervyn's and Macy's. I just paid off $600 balance on Kohl's and haven't used Mervyn's in like 10 years (but it was my first card so I'm glad its still reporting). I used to regularly use Macy's but, unfortunately, now live in a state with no Macy's. Smiley Sad

All of these are helping with my utilization but I'm concerned that my Macy's card will get closed for non-use. But if I were to use it to order say some Clinique online, wouldn't that hurt too because I'm suddenly using a card that hasn't been used for a long time?

I agree with Logical in that you shouldn't keep cards you don't need or want.  Do keep in mind how your utilization might be affected if you close a card, though.

The direct answer to your question, though, is yes, you may be dinged when you use a card that has been inactive for a long time.  However, you will recover as soon as that card reports again.  The ding is only temporary, and short lived, at that.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-26-2008 07:14 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.