Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the Chase CSR?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about the Chase CSR?

@Anonymous wrote:
I think first and foremost the most important thing is people need to realize this is a travel card. So if you don't travel, the whole $300 credit thing won't make any sense.
Because of my lack of major travelling (1-3 times a year max), a $450 AF travel card just wouldn't make any sense for me!

It can be sensible for even infrequent and non-major travellers.  Anyone that thinks they are marginal should run their own numbers and see if the total defrays the $450.00 annual fee.   Myself for example, and I intend to apply as soon as I think my profile will support it, easily exceed $300 a year in road tolls alone and will almost meet the remaining $150.00 at the 3% reward rate on parking 

A $5000.00 annual spend at restaurants (3%) would take care of the $150.00 as well.  Great if you're a single and eat out a lot or do business lunches for work.   Etc. At the 1% rewards rate the annual spend would have to be $15000.00.  None of these scenarios are unreasonable considering the minimum SL is 10000.00 and the intended audience is those with six figure incomes.

This all assumes a $0.01 point value, as opposed to the higher value of points when used for travel.  Granted, that's where the card really seems to shine, otherwise it's a Freedom on steroids. Even as such, I covet it.  Lol.

Message 21 of 27
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It will work for the subway.  And you would potentially be able to get the 300 three times before switching over to the no annual fee card. Paired with the signon bonus, its a no brainer for most.

And might I say wow I am impressed with your scores you are at the 800 mark on all three practically galahad15!

Thanks for the very kind compliments jfriend!  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 27
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Don't really understand the confusion!

I need to make a trip that costs say $500.      If I charge that to the CSR, the total cost, ignoring rewards, and including the AF is $950-300 = $650

If I put the charge on my no-AF card, the cost is $500

So the difference is $150, the effective AF for the CSR, and I then get to decide if the benefits are worth this $150.

Now if you don't do any travel, then yes, the AF is $450

Very nice, although I take it the CSR benefits don't include priority boarding and free checked bags.

Message 23 of 27
digitek
Established Contributor

I never could understand Priority Boarding....I always wait until the last **bleep**ing second to get on that plane and sit down =)

I ran the numbers and compared it against the 2.5% Cash Back USAA Limitless.  The CSR effectively gets 4.5% at minimum cash back on restaurants/travel, so that is 2% better than Limitless on those 2 categories.  To make up $150 with 2% would be $7500 worth of annual spending in restaurant/travel category ($625 a month).  Personally, me and my family do not spend that much each year eating out or traveling.

I did get the card, though.  I do like all the built in insurance, which I would normally buy myself.  The main thing I like about it is that I won't want to leave $300 on the table every year and it would force me to book some travel somewhere, I'm a little too content to just chill out locally.  Between the insurance and my normal restaurant/travel spend, I'll be breaking about even, with the added benefit that I'll definitely get some travel in each year.  Priorty Pass Lounges and the $100 Global Entry are just added perks.

Message 24 of 27
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

This card is a travel card, yes. But you can reap the benefits even if you are not a frequent flyer (air travel). I am not a frequent flyer, maybe once or twice a year. But I commute everyday to work by train. I take ubers and i also ride the bus and subway living in NYC. I also dine out from time to time so I would highly value this card and plan on making it my number one card when I get it.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 25 of 27
negg
Frequent Contributor

$450 AF. 

- $300 annual credit 

- $100 for TSA pre check 

- $100 for PP 

- $ ?? The money it would have took you to achieve Executive level at National car rental

The $450 more then pays for itself.   

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 26 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@negg wrote:

$450 AF. 

- $300 annual credit 

- $100 for TSA pre check 

- $100 for PP 

- $ ?? The money it would have took you to achieve Executive level at National car rental

The $450 more then pays for itself.   

Well, TSA Global Entry/Precheck is every four years, so we can't count $100 against the AF.   And this type of argument makes sense only if you would have got all those features anyway.   I prefer to view it as a card with $150 effective AF (if you cannot use the $300 credit this is not the card for you) that provides PP and 3x on travel/dining + some other stuff...

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.