Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the bragging about having multiple cards open

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about the bragging about having multiple cards open

Im reading through these forums and I see alot of people posting and at the bottom of whatever there posting about they have all the different credit cards they have opened and the there credit limits for those cards.  Does it help your credit or something to just apply for every credit card you can think of and just and keep them open and don't spend on them?  Or are people opening up 20 different cards and using all of them.  Are you just charging them all up and filing bankruptcy?  Im a little confused....

Message 1 of 124
123 REPLIES 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about the bragging about having multiple cards open

Oh my....

Everyone's situation is different, but there are tons of reasons to have multiple, open, positive TLs.   

Message 2 of 124
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my this thread could get long.  I will let other people do the typical and I will Kudo or not Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally use all of my cards. I determine which one to use by running each purchase through the app Wallaby (https://www.walla.by/) before swiping. There is also a great extension for Google Chrome. The app will also keep track of your balances and make sure that you don't go over your specified utilization before recommending a card.

Message 4 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello my friend welcome to the family.. Having multiple credit lines will help your overall utilization.  It will also help your credit age and depending on your want and needs using several cards can help you maximize your rewards when purchasing something. But remember don't app for too many credit cards at once because they might start denying you for too many new accounts. You can app spree like 5 apps in a day or week. 

Message 5 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not trying to be rude at all just really confused because some people have like 20 different cards and they were posting what there limits were and I just did not understand why...

Message 6 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would venture to say that most of us "brag" about the cards because they show us how much we've grown.  Just a few short months ago, a LOT of people here had terrible credit or no credit at all, and are very proud of our progress. 

Message 7 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread has potential.

Message 8 of 124
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not trying to be rude at all just really confused because some people have like 20 different cards and they were posting what there limits were and I just did not understand why...

some of us swear by having a thick, robust, clean file (who knows exactly what's perfect).

it does take some effort responsibly using many lines of credit and does show lenders you CAN handle them responsibly (when you do).

everyone is certainly differently in their credit journey.   i  just really enjoy the heck out of sign-up bonuses, rewards, getting and using/managing CC's, etc.

i wouldn't decide to go app crazy until you have spent plenty of time investigating what is right for you.

and no we definitely don't max them out... the posters i hang out with here all "pay in full" every account, every month, as do i

Message 9 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have $30,000 to $50,000 limits on several cards and scores above 700 then you have proven you have spent decades maintaining your good credit.  These are the people you should ask the most questions of.  The only people you need to question about why they are bragging are the ones who go on a 7 store card spree and report their $250 limits.  People brag in all kinds of ways, including by the car they drive, the size of the house they live in.  But even then you could win $10 million tomorrow and buy you a big house but that won't make your 540 credit score go above 700.  It's kinda like the cool kids at the mall.  You don't dress from the stores they shop at and you're not one of them.  So scurry along back over to Payless Shoes. 

Message 10 of 124
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.