Not applicable

Re: Question about the bragging about having multiple cards open

I guess im crazy then. Smiley Wink
Message 51 of 124
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have $30,000 to $50,000 limits on several cards and scores above 700 then you have proven you have spent decades maintaining your good credit.  These are the people you should ask the most questions of.  The only people you need to question about why they are bragging are the ones who go on a 7 store card spree and report their $250 limits.  People brag in all kinds of ways, including by the car they drive, the size of the house they live in.  But even then you could win $10 million tomorrow and buy you a big house but that won't make your 540 credit score go above 700.  It's kinda like the cool kids at the mall.  You don't dress from the stores they shop at and you're not one of them.  So scurry along back over to Payless Shoes. 

FICO includes neither a person's intelligence nor their quality of opinion in it's algorithm; I would suggest that's a suspect method of evaluating a post.

        
Message 52 of 124
Ragelog
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First time poster, long time lurker. This isn't an attempt to troll or a flame. This is my honest to goodness impression of the forum re the OP's question: 

I suspect that a fair amount of people on these boards have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder that they're trying to channel in a positive way. It's not normal to have 20 credit cards. It's not normal to charge something and then run home to pay it off before it posts. It's not normal to want a collection of every card AMEX and Chase issues. It's not normal to think that every card issuer has a set of secret unwritten rules regarding how they *really* want you to use their cards (e.g., AMEX will ruin your life if you ever let a balance post). A lot of what people write on this board is flat out crazy and as others have noted, their approach to credit defeats the entire purpose of having a credit card--which is to make like SIMPLER and more ENJOYABLE. 

As for the signatures, they help me weed out the crazies when I read threads. 

I would say it's as normal as anyone else that gets very involved in any hobby. Such as sports, their car, partying, watching TV/Movies, video games etc. It is only a problem if it interferes with your life.

Even at that point I would rather hang out with people that have a "problem" trying to obtain quality credit lines and use it wisely to earn rewards/save money. Versus those who say live only to drink or do drugs or gamble etc I would venture to say people as a whole would be in a better place if they paid more attention to their financial health versus some of the other things they get involved with.

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 53 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

First time poster, long time lurker. This isn't an attempt to troll or a flame. This is my honest to goodness impression of the forum re the OP's question: 

I suspect that a fair amount of people on these boards have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder that they're trying to channel in a positive way. It's not normal to have 20 credit cards. It's not normal to charge something and then run home to pay it off before it posts. It's not normal to want a collection of every card AMEX and Chase issues. It's not normal to think that every card issuer has a set of secret unwritten rules regarding how they *really* want you to use their cards (e.g., AMEX will ruin your life if you ever let a balance post). A lot of what people write on this board is flat out crazy and as others have noted, their approach to credit defeats the entire purpose of having a credit card--which is to make like SIMPLER and more ENJOYABLE. 

Im fairly sure your post where at the end you refer to other posters as 'crazies' is pretty much the definition of a flame.  Whether you are troll or not is yet to be seen but you're not off to a good start.

Message 54 of 124
kdm31091
Super Contributor

While it may be viewed as extreme to have 20 cards and do the pay right away thing and all that, and I personally wouldn't exceed 6 cards, it's still not hurting anyone if someone wants to have 20 cards and maintain them. That's their prerogative, really. Some people do really well with the reward maximization game and getting a lot of expensive things for free because they juggle 20 cards. Again, I am personally not comfortable with over 6, but, it's not hurting anyone if someone wants to have more.

Do I think some people go overboard with it and get too paranoid with paying right away or that sort of thing? Do I think some of us get too obsessed with obtaining 0.02% more reward? Absolutely, but it doesn't make them crazy. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes, obsessing over the tiniest amount of reward.

It's no different than most other hobbies. For example, sports. Some people are completely obsessed to the point of depression when a team loses, etc, they live and die with it. Is that crazy? I don't think it's crazy just because I personally couldn't care less about sports. It's the same thing. Credit and reward maximization is a hobby for people. It's not hurting anybody if they want to have tons of cards -- it's their decision!

Message 55 of 124
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Im fairly sure your post where at the end you refer to other posters as 'crazies' is pretty much the definition of a flame.  Whether you are troll or not is yet to be seen but you're not off to a good start.

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but I think it is at least a reasonable opinion, and I think a lot of have identified posters whose habits you would not wish to follow, whether or not we actually used a term like "crazy"   And we do indeed tell peple that they excessively worry over FR/AA etc

Message 56 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to respond to your post but I'm too busy refreshing my Fico scores.

Message 57 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but I think it is at least a reasonable opinion, and I think a lot of have identified posters whose habits you would not wish to follow, whether or not we actually used a term like "crazy"   And we do indeed tell peple that they excessively worry over FR/AA etc

He could have made the same point in a less than inflammatory way.  When you start using words like crazy, OCD, 'it's not normal' 4 times, I consider that a flame regardless of his intent and whether he made a few valid points.

Message 58 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect that a fair amount of people on these boards have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder 

I'd like to respond to your post but I'm too busy refreshing my Fico scores.

LoL  !! Smiley Very Happy

Message 59 of 124
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not even going to touch the last sentence but I'm pretty sure it won't win you any friends here.

However, I do agree that AA is way overblown here. I've said it many times and I'll say it again: in no way is myFico a good or accurate representation of the general population that uses credit cards. I've also noticed most people here have very high income (a lot of people making over 6 figures, and most people don't make that much) as well. Most people use their cards (3-5 of them), then pay them, rinse and repeat. My parents have had the same Visa (Mariott) and MC (Citizen's Bank) for at least 15+ years. No AA ever and their limits are pretty high (50k on the Marriott Visa).

They don't care about maximizing rewards (although they did just get Amex..) or some of the other things people do here. This is a credit forum and of course it's full of members who are obsessed with credit. That's natural. That's just how this is; same if you went to a One Direction forum -- it's going to be full of OD fans! It doesn't represent the general population who listens to their songs casually. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 60 of 124
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.