Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about the bragging about having multiple cards open

+1 well said JonE
Message 81 of 124
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Okay, I know I am late to the party, but I wanted to throw in my answer, FWIW. Whether you are building or rebuilding credit, it is a journey. I like to see other people's journey, as it is shown in their signature. I also post mine.. I am not at the beginning of my journey, and I am not close to the end either. I did like how someone said that it gave hope to those rebuilding. I remember I used to envy the lineup that I currently have, and I am proud to have it now. It is a bit of pride, but it is also NOT pride. I know people have much better lineups than me........but someday, I will have a great one as well. Either way, I have come a long way, and honestly I cannot see why anyone would be offended by anyone's siggy. FWIW, I have seen how people do things at each stage, and what works best, so it really is helpful, IMO.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 82 of 124
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait I must have missed something... Where do I apply for the One Direction credit card?! I already have 20 cards and I HAVE to get another one!

https://www.citiprivatepass.com/landing/one_direction.html

HAHAHA, finally a chance to use my Citi Private Pass access!!!

Hmm, looks like they will be performing in TCF Stadium this summer. Thats right across the street from where I work Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 83 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so right now my credit score is a 668 according to Navyfed.

I have a best buy card - 3000 CL just paid off over 2800 recently

I have a Navyfed Mastercard Platinum - 17,500 CL - Maxed out because I used it to pay off a star card, personal loan, and best buy card

I have a security services credit union Mastercard Gold Card - 5000 CL - Maxed out

I have a BOA Alaska Airlines Signature card - 5000 CL - Maxed out

I have a military star card - 4200 CL - Nearly Maxed out

I dont think Im doing this right lol.  Most of my cards only get big payments or paid off around tax time.  Some of them have had 4000 plus balances for years....

But my credit had always been like 660 - 675 for the last 6 years.

Message 84 of 124
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First time poster, long time lurker. This isn't an attempt to troll or a flame. This is my honest to goodness impression of the forum re the OP's question: 

I suspect that a fair amount of people on these boards have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder that they're trying to channel in a positive way. It's not normal to have 20 credit cards. It's not normal to charge something and then run home to pay it off before it posts. It's not normal to want a collection of every card AMEX and Chase issues. It's not normal to think that every card issuer has a set of secret unwritten rules regarding how they *really* want you to use their cards (e.g., AMEX will ruin your life if you ever let a balance post). A lot of what people write on this board is flat out crazy and as others have noted, their approach to credit defeats the entire purpose of having a credit card--which is to make like SIMPLER and more ENJOYABLE. 

As for the signatures, they help me weed out the crazies when I read threads. 

I'd like to respond to your post but I'm too busy refreshing my Fico scores.

omg that's _____ hilarious lol

Message 85 of 124
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

Okay, I know I am late to the party, but I wanted to throw in my answer, FWIW. Whether you are building or rebuilding credit, it is a journey. I like to see other people's journey, as it is shown in their signature. I also post mine.. I am not at the beginning of my journey, and I am not close to the end either. I did like how someone said that it gave hope to those rebuilding. I remember I used to envy the lineup that I currently have, and I am proud to have it now. It is a bit of pride, but it is also NOT pride. I know people have much better lineups than me........but someday, I will have a great one as well. Either way, I have come a long way, and honestly I cannot see why anyone would be offended by anyone's siggy. FWIW, I have seen how people do things at each stage, and what works best, so it really is helpful, IMO.

Well said, if OP comes back.

Signature needs updating
Message 86 of 124
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Navyfed Mastercard Platinum - 17,500 CL - Maxed out because I used it to pay off a star card, personal loan, and best buy card

I have a security services credit union Mastercard Gold Card - 5000 CL - Maxed out

I dont think Im doing this right lol.  Most of my cards only get big payments or paid off around tax time.  Some of them have had 4000 plus balances for years....

You're considered maxed out for fico scoring purpose.  Hard as it may be, suggest you get a paypal debit card, apply for the cash back, and use that instead of credit cards for awhile.  Pay those off, have a plan, cut them up, and don't use for a year or so.

Just a guess, but have you got yourself dependent on cards?  Budget and cash back debit will get you out.

Signature needs updating
Message 87 of 124
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't want balances to report on more than one card, and you definitely don't want a maxed out card. read this post:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/2471257#M199479

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 88 of 124
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure you are looking at FICOs? Because honestly that is super high utilization. You need to use the credit cards, and not let them use you, and I do not mean that disrespectfully at all. If you are carrying huge balances, you are paying for that. Many, if not the majority, of people here do not do that. Credit cards are a great game because you get something for free -- for just spending as you normally do.

ETA: Make sure you pay in full each month, otherwise bonuses mean nothing, because you lose them to interest. Takes discipline, but that is part of what makes it fun.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 89 of 124
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I see you were the OP. I rebuilt my credit from tough times, and I used the paypal debit cash back card for six years. I also saved up investments, emergency savings, paid off all debts, and became disciplined enough to use credit.

Reiterate, you need to go on credit diet. Amazed no adverse action yet.
Signature needs updating
Message 90 of 124
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.