Regular Contributor
dilettante

Question about upgrading to Banana Republic Visa

Decided on a whim to upgrade after receiving another flyer in the mail for the invite to upgrade with a $50 rewards bonus. Called and was approved for the upgrade with a 25k limit but was asked if I wanted to keep both store and visa versions or if I wanted for her to close the store card. I told her that I thought upgrade meant that they would auto close the store card but she insisted that if I wanted, I could keep both open. I told her to go ahead and close out the store card since I don't need 2 BR cards even though my store card was 6 years old. Does anyone have both versions of the card? Or was the CSR misinformed?

Valued Contributor
FinStar

Re: Question about upgrading to Banana Republic Visa

dilettante wrote:

Decided on a whim to upgrade after receiving another flyer in the mail for the invite to upgrade with a $50 rewards bonus. Called and was approved for the upgrade with a 25k limit but was asked if I wanted to keep both store and visa versions or if I wanted for her to close the store card. I told her that I thought upgrade meant that they would auto close the store card but she insisted that if I wanted, I could keep both open. I told her to go ahead and close out the store card since I don't need 2 BR cards even though my store card was 6 years old. Does anyone have both versions of the card? Or was the CSR misinformed?

It is a rare occurrence where folks can keep both but I imagine there are individuals that could keep both (i.e. Walmart, etc.).  Typically, they just close the store account - no point in keeping both IMO.

Regular Contributor
dilettante

I just thought it was odd when the CSR said that because when I converted the Nordstrom card, they closed out the old account and replaced it with the Visa version. I thought I had read that all balances and points would be transferred once you upgrade and that whether or not you activate the new Visa, the old account would be closed and I even said that to the CSR but she said no, I could keep both.  So was wondering why someone may want to keep both but I agree that there would be no point in me having both versions, especially since I don't shop all that much at BR, Gap, or Old Navy.  But I do like getting free shipping and alterations.

Valued Contributor
FinStar

dilettante wrote:

I just thought it was odd when the CSR said that because when I converted the Nordstrom card, they closed out the old account and replaced it with the Visa version. I thought I had read that all balances and points would be transferred once you upgrade and that whether or not you activate the new Visa, the old account would be closed and I even said that to the CSR but she said no, I could keep both.  So was wondering why someone may want to keep both but I agree that there would be no point in me having both versions, especially since I don't shop all that much at BR, Gap, or Old Navy.  But I do like getting free shipping and alterations.

I believe some individuals could keep the extra tradeline as some form of extra utilization cushion?  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.  Although, I agree that it seems odd the CSR offered or mentioned that you could keep the other one open.   AFAIK, they automatically closed the other one.

I like my BR Visa LUXE, free S/H and alterations plus frequent promotions/special events throughout the year. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+