cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for AMEX card holders who had lost their card...

tag
KimberH
New Contributor

Question for AMEX card holders who had lost their card...

Hi everyone

'

Love the forums. Long time lurker

Question for AMEX card holders. Has anyone asked for a replacement card thru the lost/stolen link on the AMEX site? If so, did they cancel the account and issue another card?

The reason I ask. My husband lost his wallet Friday evening - or at least misplaced it. We contacted AMEX via the link to get a replacement card. We got the email saying one was being sent. I kept checking the site everyday and it did not reflect anything on the site. Today I logon and I see "account cancelled" but no other accounts have been created.

Was this account just cancelled and a new one not set up or is this how AMEX does it?

It is so annoying to try to stay under the AMEX radar that you have to get freaked out by every thing they do. Now I do not know if they just cancelled his account or cancelled his account and reissued a new card. Of course, DH is in Mexico and can not call them until late today.

Thanks....

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" Ollie
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Question for AMEX card holders who had lost their card...

Last year, someone used my Blue online and I was notified thru email.  They told me that I needed to call them.  They asked me a few question to identify my identity. Then they sent me thru UPS next two days.  They sent me the card with the new number.  I think you need to call them and they shouldn't cancel your account.  They should give you a new account. Was it a charge card or credit card?

Ron.

Message 2 of 9
spankyspanky
Established Member

I ordered a replacement card last week, and in doing so it clearly asked if my card was stolen or worn out.  If you select stolen, it states your account will be immediately closed and a new account number will be issued.     Luckily I was just replacing a worn out card.

Message 3 of 9
KimberH
New Contributor

Hi Everyone

Sort of a update. My DH is in Mexico and the 800 number does not work so I needed to call AMEX to get an international number. I did speak briefly to the lady rep and she said she could tell me the account was cancelled because the card was reported lost. She was not able to tell me if a new one was opened - she could only tell my husband (the cardholder). When I was going thru the prompts, it did say the replacement card was mailed and we should recieve by the 8th of Aug so.......

I got an international number and my DH will call when he has a moment.

I tell you - it is no fun logging on to AMEX and seeing "this account is cancelled" no matter what the reason!

Also - it is a charge card, not a credit card.

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
Ron1
Super Contributor

The international number is 1-336-393-1111.
You can collect.

Ron.
Message 5 of 9
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@spankyspanky wrote:

I ordered a replacement card last week, and in doing so it clearly asked if my card was stolen or worn out.  If you select stolen, it states your account will be immediately closed and a new account number will be issued.     Luckily I was just replacing a worn out card.

They don't close your account, they issue a new card number. The only real hickup is that, if you report a card as lost or stolen, the CCC can report another trade line on your reports for up to two years noting that it was lost or stolen.

Sometimes this works out in you benefit, like when I lost my GM Card -- which is 11+ years old and is my oldest account.

Message 6 of 9
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:
The international number is 1-336-393-1111.
You can collect.

Ron.

+1

Also, Amex has the ability to replace cards if you lose them while traveling in other countries. Amex is also very good about overnighting cards to you if you ask.

EDIT: Removed double blockquote.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they never canceled my acct when my card was stolen. They just cancelled the card and issued a new one. When I logged into the website, everything was normal with my acct. You might want to check with them on this.
Message 8 of 9
KimberH
New Contributor

Hi everyone

Thank you for the international number - that was the one given to me by the rep.

DH called and they had cancelled the account and opened another because we had filed a police report for a lost/stolen wallet.  When he activates his new card (which showed up in yesterdays mail), the new account will show online. The previous card's bill is due 7/24 and when we pay that, the old account will go away. We were told that was how they elected to handle it - they only send a replacement card if the account number does not change. They change out the account if it does.

Thanks all!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.