Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Amex and Discover Cardholders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for Amex and Discover Cardholders

Do you ever worry about your card not being accepted, especially if you travel? Does this prompt you to carry a backup?

Do you ever feel that way with a VISA or MasterCard?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for Amex and Discover Cardholders

never had to choose a different network when trying to use my discover or amex in my area except at the library once and one subway didn't accept discover (but that's the only one i have noticed)

most places accept them, even if it doesn't have the sticker.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you ever worry about your card not being accepted, especially if you travel? Does this prompt you to carry a backup?

When you travel it's a good idea to have more than one card, regardless of type, in case one is denied for whatever reason.  There really arent that many places that don't accept Amex or Discover in today's markets.  Occasionally you'll see small businesses that wont accept Amex because of the higher merchant fees but most major businesses accept them.  Now if you're travelling internationally, it can be  acompletely different situation and it's bes to check ahead to see what is and isn't accepted in the country(ies) that you'll be visiting.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ i didn't touch the points of international as i never have used a card. mexico likes the american dollar so they screw us over lol.
Message 4 of 22
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Personally I always carry my main 4 cards anyway - of which 1 is a Discover, 2 Visa, 1 MC - because I like to maximize rewards depending on what I'm buying. Rarely, I'll be somewhere that doesn't accept Discover, but it's rather uncommon. When it does happen I just grab a different one. Similarly the other day the Visa card I wanted to use got declined because it had expired and I'd forgotten to activate the new card they sent (LOL, like 3 or 4 months prior - totally on me obviously...It was around the time everyone was sending out the new chip cards and honestly I was just 'card-activating fatigued.'). A few times I've had fraud on my accounts and had a card not go through due to that. So I always believe in carrying multiple backups regardless. It wouldn't matter what network, lender, card product, CL, etc. a given card had, I'd always feel uncomfortable relying on just one card.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience in my local area, I've only run into one instance where a place didn't accept Discover.  Everywhere else has not been a problem.

If I were to go overseas, I would take both my Discover and my QS1 just in case.  

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nowadays it's important to carry more than one for other reasons as well: (1) Fraud -- hand your card to a gas station attendant in NJ and there's a good chance you'll need to use a different card the next day; (2) Fraud Prevention -- travel can trigger false fraud alerts, rendering your card unusable until you contact the bank and let them know that you are indeed in that different location.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ if you inform your card companies of your plans then you shouldn't have that issue
Message 8 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. A colleague from europe tried to use his American Express Gold card (apparently the only CC he travels with) to pay for his dinner in Panama, and had to dig out some cash... "no habla AMEX". My VISA Hyatt was fine.

Taking my beloved Diners Premier Chip+PIN card to europe tomorrow, along with Discover just to see if it works to pay for the trains... for local transportation 5% back.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 22
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

Directed at the previous poster, ^. I hope it's not the regular gold card, that has a 2.7% FTF. 

Posted from iphone, accidentally pressed post without quoting and couldn't delete the post to fix it.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.