Frequent Contributor
IcEWoLF

Question for Chase Sapphire Preferred customers.

Just a question, I have a Chase Sapphire card and looking to go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred account.

I currently have 2 cards with Chase already, Chase Freedom Visa and Chase Sapphire Visa Signature.

My question to you guys would be, I understand if I apply on the website they will by default give me a Visa card, should I request to go with the Chase Sapphire Prefered Mastercard?

Any benefits to go with the Mastercard version over the Visa or Visa Signature?

Also guys, would you just upgrade the card or would you apply for a new card to get the 40k UR Points bonus? Is it worth a hit?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Chase Sapphire Preferred: 7K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature: 5.7K
MERRILL+® Visa Signature®: 9K | Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards American Express Card: 1K
BankAmericard Privileges® with Cash Rewards: 7K
Discover IT: 5K | Discover Chrome 3.5K | Costco AMEX: 10.7K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi ThankYou Preferred World Mastercard 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard 5K | Citi Double Cash 3.5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K
Contributor
Radek7752

Re: Question for Chase Sapphire Preferred customers.

IcEWoLF wrote:

Just a question, I have a Chase Sapphire card and looking to go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred account.

I currently have 2 cards with Chase already, Chase Freedom Visa and Chase Sapphire Visa Signature.

My question to you guys would be, I understand if I apply on the website they will by default give me a Visa card, should I request to go with the Chase Sapphire Prefered Mastercard?

Any benefits to go with the Mastercard version over the Visa or Visa Signature?

Also guys, would you just upgrade the card or would you apply for a new card to get the 40k UR Points bonus? Is it worth a hit?

Both the Visa and Mastercard versions of the CSP are virtually the same.There are some slight differences, but they are completely negligible -- at least in my opinion.

I applied for the card on Chase's site and was approved for the Visa Signature. I called a few days later and requested the World Mastercard because I didn't have one of those, and because I like the silver Mastercard logo. The Freedom as a Visa and the CSP as a MC work very well in my wallet.

As for your last question, I would strongly urge you to apply and get the sign up bonus. It is one of the best out there.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Frequent Contributor
mauwow0682

+1 if you can afford the hp go for it. Best sign up bonus out there I wouldn't leave it on the table. It will give you a nice boost in your points earning towards what you are going for.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
IcEWoLF

@Radek7752, is the Chase Sapphire Preferred Mastercard Metal as well?

MERRILL+® Visa Signature®: 9K | Bank of America Accelerated Cash Rewards American Express Card: 1K
Discover IT: 5K | Discover Chrome 3.5K | Costco AMEX: 10.7K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi ThankYou Preferred World Mastercard 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard 5K | Citi Double Cash 3.5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K
Contributor
Radek7752

IcEWoLF wrote:

Yes it is. The only difference is the network logo on the back. I still have my original Visa Signature CSP (inactive) and that's the only difference I notice.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Frequent Contributor
IcEWoLF

Radek7752 wrote:

IcEWoLF wrote:

Yes it is. The only difference is the network logo on the back. I still have my original Visa Signature CSP (inactive) and that's the only difference I notice.

Nice, I already have a Visa Signature card with my CS, so I really don't want another one, want to get a MC since MC is the only card type I don't have.

Established Contributor
KIPPIE12

Maybe some can chime in, but i didn't think you could get the MC version online.  Don't you have to apply in branch?  There has been talk for awhile now, that the MC version is going away?

Current Score: EQ: 807 TU: 811 EX: 813 (Fico) 8/14
Goal Scores: 760 Across all 3-Finally

Citi TY Premier 36k| Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| CapOne 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Sams Discover 10k|Chase IHG Select Visa 26k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 10k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 10k|Chae IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Yeah@kippie- I read on another post that the MC wasn't avail any more lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Contributor
kilj0y

You can no longer app for the MasterCard version. There is also a slim check you can try to PC to the MasterCard version after you have the visa preferred as well.

Starting Score: 693
Current Score: 701EQ MyFico 725TU(NFCU pulled)
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Joined the Garden Club 6/1/13
Valued Contributor
bribro

KIPPIE12 wrote:

Maybe some can chime in, but i didn't think you could get the MC version online.  Don't you have to apply in branch?  There has been talk for awhile now, that the MC version is going away?

AFAIK, you cannot currently apply for a CSP MC directly, either online or in branch. There was an online application link a few weeks ago, but it has since disappeared. It may come back in the future, but who knows.

The CSP defaults to Visa Signature, but you have a good shot of switching to an MC right after you're approved. For all intents and purposes, the MC and Visa version are the same, but people were interested in getting the MC to double dip on the sign up bonuses.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}