Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Citi cardholders

tag
alph4
Regular Contributor

Question for Citi cardholders

I've finally settled on a card to apply for. I want to app for the Citi Forward, but don't know whether to app for the regular card or the student version.

I have:

AmEx Green - date 1986 // AU from parents

AmEx Blue Cash - opened 3/08. 3000 CL

My scores:

TU 802 // Efax 805.

No lates/no bads.

The dilemma stems from the problem that I am a student with an income of about $8000 (not including cash from parents, just taxable income)

I'm wanting to get this card to buildup my history long-term, rather than relying on the AU on my parents Amex.

Should I apply for the Citi Forward or the student edition? Is there a difference if on the regular Forward application I just put "Student" as my occupation vs the student app to begin with? Any suggestions from anyone, especially those with similar situations would be great! 

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for Citi cardholders

The citi forward card also appears under students category. I think you should apply for the reg forward and like you said mention you are a student and have a part time job and ur income - you shudnt have a prob. I just apped for the forward and got a 7k CL - pulled experian in nj, 725 score and hhi 95k.
Message 2 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I think I would try for the regular card. As to what to put down for an occupation you might as well put 'Student'. If denied use it as ammo in the recon discussion. (Which you will have, right?) If all else fails in recon ask them for a student card. Somehow I think student cards are permanently branded and they frequently carry higher APR's to compensate for the easier approval. Get the best card you possibly can at all times. Then pay on time, every time! If you get away from PIF be sure you can see daylight to liquidation. Always have a plan!
Message 3 of 9
alph4
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help everyone. I applied this morning at 6:30am Central, listed student status and my income, and then I just called the Citi application status check and it said it was approved and to wait 7-10 business days for the card in the mail. When I applied online it said it may take up to 30 days, but I guess 5.5 hours was enough. :]

No word on the CL yet, I'll post it when I get the card (which will list the limit, I guess?)

Thanks!

Current Cards:
Message 4 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@alph4 wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. I applied this morning at 6:30am Central, listed student status and my income, and then I just called the Citi application status check and it said it was approved and to wait 7-10 business days for the card in the mail. When I applied online it said it may take up to 30 days, but I guess 5.5 hours was enough. :]

No word on the CL yet, I'll post it when I get the card (which will list the limit, I guess?)

Thanks!

I assume you went for the regular card.

Congrats on your approval! Fantastic that you got what you wanted!

Message 5 of 9
alph4
Regular Contributor

Yep I got the regular card. It arrived in the mail yesterday with a $4k limit. Not too shabby.
Current Cards:
Message 6 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Nice. You can have that card up to 8520 in no time.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mean to hijack but has anyone had the student card and finished school? Can you transfer to the forward or do you have to reapply
Message 8 of 9
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

I had a student credit card when I was in school. I applied through bank of America, when I graduated they automatically changed my card to normal. I am not sure about other banks but BofA changed mine from Student to normal automatically without reapplying.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.