Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for all you NFCU experts.

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: Question for all you NFCU experts.

@brcamacho

Your brother-in-law does NOT need to be a member and you are qualified through him as siblings. You do NOT need to have your sister join first, either. You are also qualified through your grandfathers as well even though they were NOT members and already passed away. This info is verified by one of their CR's manager. You just need to keep calling their customer service hot line till you talk to the right person who knows their policies well.
Message 11 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 25
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

Lexie is correct. OP can have his sister join. Since she is the wife to the brother-in-law who is active duty, then she is eligible to join WITHOUT the BIL being member. OP can then join after his sister is a member because her siblings will be eligible to join based on her membership. The active duty spouse does not need to join. He just needs to be eligible to join, but the sister has to be a member, so OP can join. No need to wait for the BIL to get back home.

So OP, call your sister! She will need to know her husband's last 4 SSN, DOB, service branch, his rank and grade. It's just to verify that the husband is actually a service member.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 13 of 25
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

It was from their manager who told me the in-law siblings were considered siblings. The matter is some reps let you skip the middle person step, some don't. In the end, you are qualified anyway. If NFCU wants to have more ppl to join, it seems like that is the case, then they will not let you skip the middle person step.

I joined through my sis-in-law without her or my wife being members.
Message 14 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DigitalArk

Then you were lucky. When or if security reviews your account for eligibility, your accounts will be frozen and proof of eligibility will be required. In laws, cousins, etc are not immediate family members.
Message 15 of 25
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

DigitalArk, I believe you lucked out. Unfortunately, conflicting info on eligibility does happen with NFCU reps especially on the branch level.

DH has some business at Great Lakes this week and I'll be tagging along. I'll stop in the one NFCU branch around while up there and ask about eligibility just to see what kind of response I get for data purposes... I'm mainly going so I can ask if they have any "I Love NFCU" t-shirts I can wear Smiley Happy

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 16 of 25
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie

No worries, my eligibility have already been reviewed and verified through the local branch as well as their headquarter. Again, it was their manager who proofed my membership. Smiley Wink
Message 17 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@DigitalArk

There have been posts of people being able to join through deceased veterans. I believe you are the first IIRC that joined as using an 'in law' as a sibling.
Message 18 of 25
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I couldn't join through my brother in law who is active USAF. So my wife joined and then I joined through her.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 19 of 25
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@sweettea wrote:
DigitalArk, I believe you lucked out. Unfortunately, conflicting info on eligibility does happen with NFCU reps especially on the branch level.

DH has some business at Great Lakes this week and I'll be tagging along. I'll stop in the one NFCU branch around while up there and ask about eligibility just to see what kind of response I get for data purposes... I'm mainly going so I can ask if they have any "I Love NFCU" t-shirts I can wear Smiley Happy

Hehe, maybe...Smiley LOL

How did it go?

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.