cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the travel card pros here...?

tag
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question for the travel card pros here...?

@takeshi74 wrote:

We've found Priority Pass to be largely useless for us.  You can view the lounges available with Priority Pass Select on their site.

In all our tavels, we've used Priotiry Pass just once in Dominican Republic. I agree that you have better success aligning with one or two airlines that provide you with the best, most frequent access to lounges or else it will be hit or miss. 

Unless you're in shape and can run through an airport from the lounge of your choice to your departing flight. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 19
iced
Valued Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

We've found Priority Pass to be largely useless for us.  You can view the lounges available with Priority Pass Select on their site.

In all our tavels, we've used Priotiry Pass just once in Dominican Republic. I agree that you have better success aligning with one or two airlines that provide you with the best, most frequent access to lounges or else it will be hit or miss. 

Unless you're in shape and can run through an airport from the lounge of your choice to your departing flight. Smiley Wink

I'll second this. Priority Pass just isn't practical in a lot of travel cases. If lounge access is desired, you're far better off getting a card that comes with your preferred airline's lounge access already (MileagePlus Club, AAdvantage Executive, etc).

Note that some airlines now only let you enter their lounge if you also have a same-day boarding pass with that airline or one of it's partners, so don't think you can get a MP Club card then fly AA and expect to waltz into a United club. I know a lot of people swear by the Kayak principle (just book whoever's cheapest), but if you're going to fly with any regularity, my recommendation will be to pick an airline and stick to them.

Message 12 of 19
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for all the answers!  I do tend to book the best deal when flying, so was hoping for a card with good general lounge access.  (I'll be considering cards in their entirety, not just based on lounges.)  BUT prevalent, readily available lounge access is important to me since we travel with my parents fairly often and my dad has some mobility/comfort issues due to severe back problems.  I just think it would be great if there were a more comfortable place than the gate/terminal seating for him to relax while waiting.  (I'll enjoy it, too, of course!)

The biggest issue I've seen so far is that many lounges appear to be for international departing flights only.  This is my main question, I guess...in your experience what is the best lounge network with the most access when flying domestically?  We would be departing out of Atlanta, but travelling to various major cities.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 13 of 19
driftless
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

We would be departing out of Atlanta, but travelling to various major cities.

I fly in and out of Atlanta on average of once a month mainly on United.  If Atlanta was my home base I would concentrate on Delta, they have two lounges at the airport (haven't been in either).

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 14 of 19
NYCguy37
Valued Member

Where I am stuck personally is utilizing both the Platinum card and CSR. I use the Centurion lounges across the country quite frequently (although I am a United flyer and have the MilagePlus Card), and find the benefit of the lounge as a positive to keeping the Platinum for this reason (in addition to the Concierge service). As others have mentioned, I have found the Priority Pass select virtually useless. However, I don't swipe my Platinum card more than once or twice a year, and solely use my CSP and United cards. Given how great the CSR sounds, I'm trying to justify whether $900 in AF between the Platinum and CSR is worth it. I know that the rebates/how you value Centurion Lounge access etc. can ulitmatley negate the annual fees, however it still seems like a lot to justify on an absolute basis. Would be curios to know how others who have the Platnium card are evaluating this opportunity Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@NYCguy37 wrote:

Where I am stuck personally is utilizing both the Platinum card and CSR. I use the Centurion lounges across the country quite frequently (although I am a United flyer and have the MilagePlus Card), and find the benefit of the lounge as a positive to keeping the Platinum for this reason (in addition to the Concierge service). As others have mentioned, I have found the Priority Pass select virtually useless. However, I don't swipe my Platinum card more than once or twice a year, and solely use my CSP and United cards. Given how great the CSR sounds, I'm trying to justify whether $900 in AF between the Platinum and CSR is worth it. I know that the rebates/how you value Centurion Lounge access etc. can ulitmatley negate the annual fees, however it still seems like a lot to justify on an absolute basis. Would be curios to know how others who have the Platnium card are evaluating this opportunity Smiley Happy

Well, I have the Citi Prestige which has a $50 AF and I'm a past Amex Platinum card holder but PC to the Green because AMEX reduced their benefits and no longer work at Costco. 

I'm evaluating this opportunity as for me, Citi Prestige offers 4th night hotel stays for free. Among all the other benefits minus Centurion lounges. I would rate the Prestige higher than Amex Plat, but you may rate Plat higher because of centurion lounges. I would argue that Plat only gives 1 for 1 points while CS(R) gives 1.6? That's an edge right there. But you stated you hardly spend on Plat. Have you ever considered Citi Prestige and CS(R)? That's my delima. That will effectively put me at $900 in AF just for those two cards. Not to mention my Amex Green Card, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, etc. 

Message 16 of 19
iced
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

Thanks so much for all the answers!  I do tend to book the best deal when flying, so was hoping for a card with good general lounge access.  (I'll be considering cards in their entirety, not just based on lounges.)  BUT prevalent, readily available lounge access is important to me since we travel with my parents fairly often and my dad has some mobility/comfort issues due to severe back problems.  I just think it would be great if there were a more comfortable place than the gate/terminal seating for him to relax while waiting.  (I'll enjoy it, too, of course!)

The biggest issue I've seen so far is that many lounges appear to be for international departing flights only.  This is my main question, I guess...in your experience what is the best lounge network with the most access when flying domestically?  We would be departing out of Atlanta, but travelling to various major cities.

Your experience may have led you to think that, but it would be wrong. Most airports with lounges tend to be the larger ones that do a lot of international flights, but the big 3 US airlines (UA, AA, DL) will all have decent lounge access nationwide. So really, for your needs, any of those three airlines will give you the best nationwide coverage for lounges.

The question you have to answer is where do you tend to fly to most often? This will help dictate which airline is best for you as you can align your travel habits (and partners!) with your desired route map. As you are Atlanta based, DL immediately comes to mind since that's a major hub for them. You'll have a lot more non-stop options domestically with DL out of Atlanta than you will any other airline, but that's not the only factor to consider. DL tends to have the worst award redemption rates; there is a reason DL's SkyMiles known in the frequent flyer circles as SkyPesos.

Message 17 of 19
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

We really fly all over...in the last couple of years it's been New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Hawaii...will be heading to Dallas later this month, & planning a 3-city trip to Paris, Rome, & Barcelona next year.  Who knows where else in the next few years?  We try to take a couple of pleasure trips a year and I expect frequency to increase since the last kid is off to school now.

It just seemed to be common in the fine print when I was looking at lounge locations that many of them are designated for international flights only.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 18 of 19
iced
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

We really fly all over...in the last couple of years it's been New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Hawaii...will be heading to Dallas later this month, & planning a 3-city trip to Paris, Rome, & Barcelona next year.  Who knows where else in the next few years?  We try to take a couple of pleasure trips a year and I expect frequency to increase since the last kid is off to school now.

It just seemed to be common in the fine print when I was looking at lounge locations that many of them are designated for international flights only.

I can confirm that with at least one airline lounge membership (MileagePlus Club in my case) that you're good even domestic. I would be shocked if the AA's or DL's policy was any different. Maybe certain specialty lounge access programs restrict it to international only...

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.