Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for those who use Discover rewards

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Question for those who use Discover rewards

Couple of questions on Discover rewards...

I am a rewards fan, and I'm still trying to understand Discover's. I signed up this morning for their holiday purchases reward. It's good for double cash back, which would be 2%, on up to $1k of purchases in various categories (department stores, shoes, jewelry, etc.) between Nov. 15th and Dec. 31st. That part I understand.

When I signed up, however, part of the details said, "Purchases earning 2% Cashback Bonus will not count toward your total annual purchases to determine your tier level."

Tier level? What am I missing here? What do their "tier levels" mean?

Discover sure seems to put us through our paces to earn rewards, but I know a lot of folks here like them. Do most of you take cash back, or buy gift cards...or what? I'd like to maximize what I'm working for and could use some advice on the best way.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Question for those who use Discover rewards

When it comes to cash back for Discover most think of the awesome 5% back you get on certain stuff, which changes every few months. (currently it's for groceries and resurants) But you don't get 5% on everything else, it's "up to 1%". The first $3k you spend in one year on your Discover only gets 0.25%, after that you get 1%. So that's the tier level they speak of. What they're saying is the special 2% deal doesn't count towards that.

I recently took my rewards as a credit to my balance.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the poster above me got it bang on.

I just wanted to add this: they double all purchases online also.  If you use shop discover to get stuff at Macy's for example, that is triple dipping for a big ol' pile of rewards.

I always watch sites like searchalldeals.com for sales at stores that are also on shop discover.

Message 3 of 4
ma_fico
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the poster above me got it bang on.

I just wanted to add this: they double all purchases online also.  If you use shop discover to get stuff at Macy's for example, that is triple dipping for a big ol' pile of rewards.

I always watch sites like searchalldeals.com for sales at stores that are also on shop discover.

+1  I've got some Christmas gift buying to do at Barnes and Noble online - 10% off as a "member", 10% back for ShopDiscover, plus 2% for online.

I'll take it.  Smiley Happy 

Love ShopDiscover.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.