Did you mean: 

Question for those with Citi Double Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for those with Citi Double Cash

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I make multiple payments a month and have never encountered an issue.  I literally submit a payment for nearly every transaction I make and I rarely have a balance when the actual statement cuts.  I utilize the bill pay feature through my Chase checking account to make payments and they usually post with Citi about two days later. Mathematically, I always get the full 2% in rewards.  I also request my rewards as a check that is sent to me so as not to interrupt the rewards structure (1% per transaction and 1% per payment - statement credits wouldn't count as a payment so I avoid those).

I've had this card nearly a year and it's been great.  There really isn't a catch to it, you just have to pay your balances to reap the full benefits.  That's it!

So you have them send your 2% rewards as a check every month and then you have to go deposit it into your bank every time? That sounds like a pain. 

As for the submitting a payment for nearly every transaction, no comment. 

I haven't gone to the bank to deposit a check in years. That's what iphones are for. Smiley Wink 

(Except for with US Bank who charges a fee to use that feature. Crazy.)

Message 41 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or android. Smiley Happy
Message 42 of 54
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I make multiple payments a month and have never encountered an issue.  I literally submit a payment for nearly every transaction I make and I rarely have a balance when the actual statement cuts.  I utilize the bill pay feature through my Chase checking account to make payments and they usually post with Citi about two days later. Mathematically, I always get the full 2% in rewards.  I also request my rewards as a check that is sent to me so as not to interrupt the rewards structure (1% per transaction and 1% per payment - statement credits wouldn't count as a payment so I avoid those).

I've had this card nearly a year and it's been great.  There really isn't a catch to it, you just have to pay your balances to reap the full benefits.  That's it!

So you have them send your 2% rewards as a check every month and then you have to go deposit it into your bank every time? That sounds like a pain. 

It's not really a pain at all to deposit checks these days as other posters have pointed out (I don't use my phone to deposit that often, but I do use the ATM and rarely step foot into a branch).  I don't have the check on any sort of pay out schedule either.  When I have at least $25 in banked rewards I simply redeem it via the check option that arrives in about a week.  No interruption to the reward structure and who doesn't like to get money in the mail!  

I know payments for every transaction is a bit overkill, but I'm paranoid about debt and therefore I treat my credit cards like debit cards whenever possible and immediately deduct the funds from my checking account(s) via bill pay.

Message 43 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

It's not really a pain at all to deposit checks these days as other posters have pointed out (I don't use my phone to deposit that often, but I do use the ATM and rarely step foot into a branch).  I don't have the check on any sort of pay out schedule either.  When I have at least $25 in banked rewards I simply redeem it via the check option that arrives in about a week.  No interruption to the reward structure and who doesn't like to get money in the mail!  

I know payments for every transaction is a bit overkill, but I'm paranoid about debt and therefore I treat my credit cards like debit cards whenever possible and immediately deduct the funds from my checking account(s).

Why not just use the ACH option, where Citi sends it to your bank.   No interruption to your rewards, and no depositing for you to do.

Message 44 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

I know payments for every transaction is a bit overkill, but I'm paranoid about debt and therefore I treat my credit cards like debit cards whenever possible and immediately deduct the funds from my checking account(s).

Why not just use the ACH option, where Citi sends it to your bank.   No interruption to your rewards, and no depositing for you to do.

I could look, but since it's being discussed here I'll ask...can you have this set up on a recurring schedule? I like that about my Cash+. US Bank will just sweep my rewards into my savings monthly. 

Message 45 of 54
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Good question!  Citi won't let me use that option yet because they would first need me to link my external bank account and then make at least two payments on their website rather than having payments made from my checking account website (Chase), which I prefer because the funds get deducted right away (see above). Smiley Happy 

Message 46 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Good question!  Citi won't let me use that option yet because they would first need me to link my external bank account and then make at least two payments on their website rather than having payments made from my checking account website (Chase), which I prefer because the funds get deducted right away (see above). Smiley Happy 

Interesting. I think what you're saying is you'd rather the debt-be-gone more quickly so if the money is out of your Chase Checking more quickly, you breathe easier. I tend to feel the opposite in that I feel like the debt vanishes more quickly when I pay at the receivers site and let them suck the money out of my checking. 

ETA: But I do a combo of paying thru my checking and on the receivers site. It COULD be that my CU is slow and that's why I often prefer paying on the receivers site. Maybe with Chase etc. I'd feel differently. 

Message 47 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Interesting. I think what you're saying is you'd rather the debt-be-gone more quickly so if the money is out of your Chase Checking more quickly, you breathe easier. I tend to feel the opposite in that I feel like the debt vanishes more quickly when I pay at the receivers site and let them suck the money out of my checking. 

ETA: But I do a combo of paying thru my checking and on the receivers site. It COULD be that my CU is slow and that's why I often prefer paying on the receivers site. Maybe with Chase etc. I'd feel differently. 

I don't have Citibank cards, but I have noticed that paying from the CCC sites makes the payment go much faster. Maybe BB&T bill pay is just slow. But my payments go through much more quickly if I let the CCC pull the payment from my bank.

Message 48 of 54
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is precisely it!  I'm still in the debit card mindset where I'm used to and prefer to see the funds debited/deducted from my liquid accounts right away so that I don't see the money after it has already been spent.  

Message 49 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

do this buddy. this is what i did for a while. each time you use your credit card take the EXACT amount you spent and pull it from checking to savings. that'll take it from your available balance immediately. then when you pay the balance in full just transfer it back Smiley Happy
Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.