Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for you Amex Gurus

tag
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Question for you Amex Gurus

My Delta card has a cl of 6K after the 3x increase.  My BCP and SPG have initial CLs of 8K and 12K respectively.  I have added the BCP and SPG since the Delta 3x. I also have a Business Gold card that I have checked pre approval on for 30K just for grins and said it was a go.   

My 181 day for my next 3x request is mid June.  I'm using the delta and the SPG as travel card combos for earning and transfering points.  The BCP is simply my grocery card.  I really don't see increasing the initial BCP as appealing to me but could see the delta card needing a higher CL than 6K.   

I am looking at Amex exposure of 26K as it is, excluding my business gold card.  

Is there an issue with Amex increasing a CL based on the aggregate CLs across the board?  It really doesn't bother me to send them a 4506T if they would want it.  I don't need the added CL but for UTL, if they are giving.... I'm taking.  Also, just for grins...if I wanted to ask for an increase mid June on the SPG, would it matter if that card had only been open for 3 months even though my 181 day 3x was available?

Just trying to do a little pre planning.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Question for you Amex Gurus

AMEX does look at total CL across the board. I honestly don't see the point of high CL on BCP. You could just move some of CL from BCP to your other two cards.

Message 2 of 6
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Blackrv7 wrote:

My Delta card has a cl of 6K after the 3x increase.  My BCP and SPG have initial CLs of 8K and 12K respectively.  I have added the BCP and SPG since the Delta 3x. I also have a Business Gold card that I have checked pre approval on for 30K just for grins and said it was a go.   

My 181 day for my next 3x request is mid June.  I'm using the delta and the SPG as travel card combos for earning and transfering points.  The BCP is simply my grocery card.  I really don't see increasing the initial BCP as appealing to me but could see the delta card needing a higher CL than 6K.   

I am looking at Amex exposure of 26K as it is, excluding my business gold card.  

Is there an issue with Amex increasing a CL based on the aggregate CLs across the board?  It really doesn't bother me to send them a 4506T if they would want it.  I don't need the added CL but for UTL, if they are giving.... I'm taking.  Also, just for grins...if I wanted to ask for an increase mid June on the SPG, would it matter if that card had only been open for 3 months even though my 181 day 3x was available?

Just trying to do a little pre planning.

I believe you can pick any card that has been open for at least 90 days for your next CLI request. But remember from here on out your CLI requests will be spaced 181 days apart regardless of how long the card has been open. It's a biannual occasion to celebrate Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

AMEX does look at total CL across the board. I honestly don't see the point of high CL on BCP. You could just move some of CL from BCP to your other two cards.

Account has to be open 13 months for any re-allocation of limits to occur.

Message 4 of 6
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I believe you can pick any card that has been open for at least 90 days for your next CLI request. But remember from here on out your CLI requests will be spaced 181 days apart regardless of how long the card has been open. It's a biannual occasion to celebrate Smiley Wink

That is one thing I was looking for as I didn't know the card had to open for 90 days.  In this case all three cards would be eligible but I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and ask for the 3x on the Delta card up to 18 and see what they say.  Thanks.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 5 of 6
hot4u
Established Contributor

Amex exposure of 26K  is overrated

91 day period received 3 Amex cards with them... not asking for 4506T

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.