Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question in regards to CLI?

tag
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Question in regards to CLI?

Can you get a CLI if you haven't use the card at all? or should you use it and charge a small amount just to have some kind of record? The reason I ask is because I see a lot of people in the forum with so many CC and and telling us they got CLI. Do you use all your cards just to get some trasaction? or do they just give you the CLI if you don't even use the card? Please advise.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question in regards to CLI?

@kampfer09 wrote:
Can you get a CLI if you haven't use the card at all? or should you use it and charge a small amount just to have some kind of record? The reason I ask is because I see a lot of people in the forum with so many CC and and telling us they got CLI. Do you use all your cards just to get some trasaction? or do they just give you the CLI if you don't even use the card? Please advise.

What Bank and Card?

I mean I'm King of grabbing any Credit Card I can get under the sun but even if I don't need it, I don't think I have opened a card without at least making some kind of purchase at opening (exception to that rule would be that jewelry store that is gone and Firestone Card I never used and it closed like 2 years later.)

Message 2 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Discover and General Electric gave me increases without me really using the cards at all. I used Discover less than three times and hadn't used the Amazon Store card in about five or so months when I asked for an increase. I hadn't really been using an FIA card and they still gave me a massive increase. I do reckon your chances of getting a bigger increase are better if you use the card up to it's limit, but it differes depending on the lender.

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Discover and General Electric gave me increases without me really using the cards at all. I used Discover less than three times and hadn't used the Amazon Store card in about five or so months when I asked for an increase. I hadn't really been using an FIA card and they still gave me a massive increase. I do reckon your chances of getting a bigger increase are better if you use the card up to it's limit, but it differes depending on the lender.

Also depends if you got the card with bad credit and it was a rebuilder or starter which happened to many with Bank of America way back.... fast forward to today if it was kind just sitting and now you are up 100+ points and your CL's are in the $10k range... Bank of America isn't normally like a Capital One Card and they will step it up if you come in all of a sudden and ask.

Now you have good credit and get a high limit card that just sits and it's already pretty much your highest... some banks might still go more but the list gets smaller and smaller if you don't show them any handling of the cards.

Message 4 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Most of my card are from GE and I do have a DC IT as well. I was just think using those cards and make small purchases like $25 on each just to show some activity. Lol
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:
Most of my card are from GE and I do have a DC IT as well. I was just think using those cards and make small purchases like $25 on each just to show some activity. Lol

With GE this is a good plan... If GE sits for more than like 9 months especially with like GAP they will bring you down to like $105, quick call saying oops forgot about it, but i want to start using it and they will take you back to what you had if not MUCH more.... be sure to ask for way more, system will counter back.... its like a CLI but back to at least the CL you had before you didn't use it!!!

Message 6 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

I'm not rebuilding my credit since my credit is pretty good My Ex 684, TU 736, EQ 750. The reason I ask is because most of my limit in average from $500-900 store card and $1k-3.5k in credit card. If most or all my card gave me good CL I was hoping a good chance of getting the CSP with a higher limit at least which is my goal card.
Message 7 of 11
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

I do have one more question? GE approved me for SAMs DC, Wallmart CC, Paypal MC can you combined all this card into one card?
Message 8 of 11
pakman92
Established Contributor

One thing I can add is that.  JC Penny store card (managed by GE Capital) reduce DW's CL after 2 years of non-use.  She got it to get an initial discount when she opened it and never used it since. 

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 9 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I assume you are asking if you can combine CL between the various cc's?

The answer is no.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.