Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Amex Annual Fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on Amex Annual Fees

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

I feel i need to respond to some of this...First off everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I trust my acquaintance friend that has worked for Amex for 15 years over you who's laying out good talking points about your experiences with Amex. Try selling that too the many thousands that have excellent credit histories that have seen their cards canceled right after the annual fee was due and paid or for no reason at all.

So you are saying Amex is the only honest card company out there, that they haven't done anything wrong and they are above reproach and can't do wrong. Come'on....you don't even believe that yourself. But that's what your trying to sell, Amex is dirty and i trouble just like everyone else. What was stated in this thread was that Amex was cleaning house, and they are doing just that, just like every other bank.

No one here stated Amex was bad company, I for one think they are a great company if they can get back to what they once were. So let me be clear" I BELIEVE MY ACQUAINTANCE when he states these things are going on inside American Express he's worked their for 15 years so I'm sure he would know what's going on.

King

You are very naive to put so much faith in a mere "acquaintance". What you are writing does not have the ring of truth, but if it somehow means something to you then you should, by all means, share it.
CI

I'm not going to get into the weeds with you on this. "The only person thats Naive here is you" I've known this guy for years and he's honest and he's worked there for 15 years. I trust what he says and what everyone else has been going through as proof enough that it's happening, so say what you like it bothers me none. I'm just passing information and informing.

King

Message Edited by 74king on 05-19-2009 08:00 AM
Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
King, I really dont care what you say. They need to return my AF. If they do not return the prorated AF they are crooks and thiefs and stealing people's money. I dont care they are solid or weak, who cares. I'll never touch an amex card again in my life. Visa/MC is accepted every where, much easier to deal with and generous CL. If Amex is in trouble they brought it on them self. Dont blame it on customers. Trust me, subprime CreditOne card has much better work ethics and standard than Amex. They are thieves not returning my prorated AF.

You still breathing..Smiley Very Happy Chill out, it's not that serious

Message 22 of 34
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

We should remember to be supportive of one another! Sometimes we forget.
Here we go again...
Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
We should remember to be supportive of one another! Sometimes we forget.

I have been supportive...and was lynched called Naive and basically a liar just because i was sharing information that came from a person i have known for years that works at Amex. Go figure"

Message 24 of 34
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I understand. I wasn't singling anyone out. I meant everyone in general.

We're all here to learn!

Here we go again...
Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:

3) New Optima accounts are no longer issued

I thought the same thing recently, as they've made it sort of hard to find info on the Optima Platinum.  But they do still offer the ability to app for it, via: Personal Cards > Find Another Card.

https://www217.americanexpress.com/cards/home.do?pmccode=133

They are definitely not promoting it.   I agree with others -- looks like Blue will probably come out on top.  A quick comparison of the two produces similiar terms.  Longer intro APR promo on Blue, and a small difference in grace period.    

Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
I'll never touch an amex card again in my life.

This reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask of those in the know --

Do co-branded Amex cards such as Citi, BofA and GEMB (Dillard's) put any money in Amex's pocket each time they're used?  I know that they utilitze Amex's point-of-sale network, so is the processing fee for each transaction collected by Amex, or the bank which is issuing the co-branded card? 

Message 27 of 34
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:
King, I really dont care what you say. They need to return my AF. If they do not return the prorated AF they are crooks and thiefs and stealing people's money. I dont care they are solid or weak, who cares. I'll never touch an amex card again in my life. Visa/MC is accepted every where, much easier to deal with and generous CL. If Amex is in trouble they brought it on them self. Dont blame it on customers. Trust me, subprime CreditOne card has much better work ethics and standard than Amex. They are thieves not returning my prorated AF.

After following your tortuous relationship with AMEX I really can't understand why you continue to sniff around the AMEX tree.  Just walk away from them if you can't work with them, and vice versa.  But you always seem to be drawn to the AMEX card mystique (whatever that is).
Message 28 of 34
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

mjgray wrote:

This reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask of those in the know --

Do co-branded Amex cards such as Citi, BofA and GEMB (Dillard's) put any money in Amex's pocket each time they're used?  I know that they utilitze Amex's point-of-sale network, so is the processing fee for each transaction collected by Amex, or the bank which is issuing the co-branded card? 

I am sure Amex gets a piece of action when some one uses co-branded card, just like Visa/MC would get when we use their cards. It is a gravy for Amex what extra they make on their network processing fees.

Message 29 of 34
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
After following your tortuous relationship with AMEX I really can't understand why you continue to sniff around the AMEX tree.  Just walk away from them if you can't work with them, and vice versa.  But you always seem to be drawn to the AMEX card mystique (whatever that is).

You are missing the point. I have already closed my accounts, I dont care what happens to Amex. I just want to pro-rated AF back. They have no right to swallow my money. Trust me there are lot better things in my life than having to worry about $50-$70 AF I need to get from them. It is a matter of principle, I want to get my money back. If you owe money to Amex trust me they will not let you go easy. Why should I let my money go for free when they are trying to steal it from me?

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.