Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Barclay Master card

tag
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question on Barclay Master card

Yes I understand what your saying. And that would be the right way to do it to get most of your score. Thanks for clarifying. Can you also post the link to that thread? I'll also try searching. I remember I was following that thread at one time.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 11 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:
Yes I understand what your saying. And that would be the right way to do it to get most of your score. Thanks for clarifying. Can you also post the link to that thread? I'll also try searching. I remember I was following that thread at one time.

The thread link 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-CC-let-s-put-our-heads-together/m-p/2297693#M64...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:
Beyondbasic, I personally would pay after it posts if you need to make another purchase and do not have CL available, be careful not to go over though. Most people spend more then $500 a month, in that case yes I would let it post to your account then make a payment for the balance on the account, I wouldn't do it more then twice a month though. If you do make 2 payments of $500 a month for a few months, that would give them good reason to raise your limit. And you can pay after statement closes but before payment due date, I wouldn't worry about UTL until your ready to apply for new credit.

I tried this with my Capital One cards.  One month, during Christmas I even paid it off 5 times in full.  I then fully paid it off again twice the next month and paid it in full every month after.  At the two year mark on both cards I still had a $500 limit.  I have charged up to 2/3 of my Barclays card in the past, have always PIF regardless of the balance and have never gotten a CLI with them.  The card is 1.5 years old.  Yeah, there are months that I don't use the card and as of the last few months I have refused to use the card because of this.  (I will be taking advantage of their 5x bonus points for department stores during the holiday, but only up to the $500 of spending for those points.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 13 of 16
beyondbasic

the good thing about my utilization is i will have another card with a 400 limit with zero on it. . so that should help keep my score somewhat decent.

Starting Scores 11/2013 EQ 562 TU 624 EX 545

My Wallet. First Premier Secured $300 -- Barclay Rewards $500
Message 14 of 16
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

@bernhardtra You might not have gotten an auto CLI but I bet if you request one they would definitely raise it drastically.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 15 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:
@bernhardtra You might not have gotten an auto CLI but I bet if you request one they would definitely raise it drastically.

Oh they offer to give me a hard pull all the time when I ask about my CL.....   I politely refuse a hard pull.  Since they can be touchy about new cards to a report sometimes, I don't know if I want to go for a hard pull to get a CLI.  I actually only care about the bonus promotions they have now.  Those usually have a cap of $500 of spending.  The current one is to earn 5 bonus points at department stores, up to 2500 points.  Doing the math that comes out to $500.  (Don't they realize some of will do the math and restrict our spending to that amount?)  It's not the best general rewards in my wallet, so Meh!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.