cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Barclay Master card

tag
beyondbasic

Question on Barclay Master card

so as stated in my other post im rebuilding and my TU score is 626. EQ and EX are 550 due to negatives being taken care of. i was just approved for a barlcay for 500$ and currently have a 300 first premier secured.

i read that for me to get a CLI on the barclay i should carry a balance all the time? is this the best bet with them? also on a 500 card what balance should i have on it and what should i pay them monthly? thanks guys 

Starting Scores 11/2013 EQ 562 TU 624 EX 545

My Wallet. First Premier Secured $300 -- Barclay Rewards $500
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Question on Barclay Master card

@beyondbasic wrote:

so as stated in my other post im rebuilding and my TU score is 626. EQ and EX are 550 due to negatives being taken care of. i was just approved for a barlcay for 500$ and currently have a 300 first premier secured.

i read that for me to get a CLI on the barclay i should carry a balance all the time? is this the best bet with them? also on a 500 card what balance should i have on it and what should i pay them monthly? thanks guys 

Between the 2 cards never have more than $80 reporting 

If your trying to max scores then carry less than $80 on the Barclay card 

General rule have one card report a balnce and all others report $0

How much you choose to carry is up to you if you aren't trying to increase scores since it's the holiday season

Here's some help full reading that may shed light on what you've heard and congrats and welcome to the Barclay family

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-CC-let-s-put-our-heads-together/td-p/2297693

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

I believe the best way to win over Barclay is to report a balance, not necesaarily carry a balance.  They are two different things. As with all issues related to credit, it's a YMMV.

Message 3 of 16
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

What I would do is come within $10-20 of your your CL with barclays and PIF monthly if your able to, however do not max it and pay minimum payments! Yes might ruin your score from UTL when it reports, but who cares about UTL if your not going to apply for any credit, house, car anytime within the next few months. When your ready to apply for more credit or such then let it report 10% or so UTL. I did that with barclays when I had a 4600 limit, at 5 months they increased my limit to 10k. Just My opinion, I've done this with my ex and we raised her limits real quick as well. You have to show then you need a higher limit if you want a higher limit. If you spend $10 a month on a $500 limit, why would you need a higher limit? I'm seeing a lot of banks look at it this way lately.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 16
beyondbasic

thanks for the quick response. so i should use maybe 475. then pay it immediately after or should i wait for a bill to print/ due date?

Starting Scores 11/2013 EQ 562 TU 624 EX 545

My Wallet. First Premier Secured $300 -- Barclay Rewards $500
Message 5 of 16
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

only had barclay a few months but when i called in pertainign to a balance transfer, the customer service rep sounded eager. IMHO Barclay like any other company only cares about money and a balance transfer gives them an automatic 3% fee. WIth this being said i transfered 550$ from capitol one to barclay and they increased my cl to match bt.

Message 6 of 16
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Beyondbasic, I personally would pay after it posts if you need to make another purchase and do not have CL available, be careful not to go over though. Most people spend more then $500 a month, in that case yes I would let it post to your account then make a payment for the balance on the account, I wouldn't do it more then twice a month though. If you do make 2 payments of $500 a month for a few months, that would give them good reason to raise your limit. And you can pay after statement closes but before payment due date, I wouldn't worry about UTL until your ready to apply for new credit.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 7 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Be aware that any card reporting high balances of the credit limit will result in scoring dings thus lowering your scores dramatically 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 16
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Yes but only for time being. If your not applying for new credit no need to have a nice score. And besides it's his only card and they know he's PIF.

Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Meltdownblitz wrote:
Yes but only for time being. If your not applying for new credit no need to have a nice score. And besides it's his only card and they know he's PIF.

Oh I completely understand what your conveying but Fico does not know or care that OP will pay in full thus they will ding scores every month that reports a high balance Lol

Thus I thought OP should know the consequences of letting high balances report.Smiley Wink

It's much easier to charge as much as you like pay off several times a month if needed and let a small balance report this was my method and I got a auto CLI while still increasing scores.

Also from the thread what we discovered is barclay likes BT's and carrying a balance during the 0% promo time and it didn't matter as to how nuch you ran through it or the reported balance.

I went a month with no use then charged a small purchase and BAM auto CLI

And if the theory holds true I should see another auto CLI in the next 3 weeks or so...Will update results to thread 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.