Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on CC purchase dispute

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Question on CC purchase dispute

I've never disputed anything on my CC statements and am really unfamiliar with the process or how it works. Question: Do vendors you do business with initiate disputed to your credit card company on your behalf (and without permission)?

Here's the lowdown...I was doing taxes and scanned each statement for deductions. I noticed on DW's BB RZ MC that there was a dispute of a charge to Lands End. She never disputed anything and the charge is legit. She purchased bookbags and they forgot to monogram them as ordered. She sent them back and they fixed it. The statement from BB RZ MC clearly says it was disputed. Two months after that statement, another statement shows a credit of $37.21 due to a credit following a disputed item. Again, we never disputed a thing. Now Lands End is trying to collect $37.21 for an underpayment of an order. The only communication she had was with Lands End to correct the error, but there never was a beef on the $$$.

I'm dealing with Lands End now, but can vendors initial charge disputes to your CCC?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on CC purchase dispute

I have never heard of that happening

Message 2 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

The only dispute experience I have is from my side. I disputed two fraudulent charges on a Cap 1 account. The card was compromised and they issued a new card #. At one point Cap 1 investigators called me and put me on a 3-way with one of the on-line merchants who asked me a couple questions about info submitted with the order. It was obviously not mine and was shipped / charged to a location I've never been.

As to yours, it's interesting that it shows as a dispute. Perhaps Land's End really meant to issue a return credit and then figured out that the problem was resolved? It sounds like the problem was from their data entry mistake..

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely there's something wrong on their end...

Here's a screenshot of the purchase on the pruchase:

LandsEnd1.jpg

Here it is again 2 statements later showing that it had been disputed (not by us):

LandsEnd2.jpg

We asked them to fix the monogramming in August and never disputed the above (or any) charge.

I think there's a glitch on their end. But I never knew (or even heard of) vendors initiating disputes with the CCs.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kinda sounds like your wife isn't telling you something Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

I actually used to work at a bar, where the establishment disputed a wrongful credit.

I know it's not the same situation, but apparently one of the employees accidentally charged a customer twice and when she tried to fix the mistake, it actually reversed it twice. The business didn't notice til the next day once the reconciliation process was underway.

This dispute is a completely different scenario but it was a legitimate one.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That really sounds rather strange. I'd be asking them to provide you a written/faxed copy of all the documentation relating to the payment and subsequent dispute. If you (or she) didn't initiate it, they should have a record of who did and why. If they try to claim your DW disputed the transaction when she didn't, I'm pretty sure that falls under some sort of fraud on their part.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.