cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Capital One and Authorized Users

tag
rfeit84

Question on Capital One and Authorized Users

I was recently added to a Capital One account as an authorized user. One month and one statement letter, I found that they did not report to any of the Credit Bureaus. So I called Capital One and asked if they report Authorized users to the Credit Bureaus. She answered no. I also asked if I can be put on the account as a joint account holder. A big No as well.

Is this correct? Capital One does not report to the credit bureaus for AU's? And they do not allow joint accounts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: Question on Capital One and Authorized Users

I have an AU on both of my CapOne cards. One of them reports on the AU's credit report but the other does not. In fact, I just called the backdoor # last week to ask them why it doesn't and was told they would look into the issue for the one card and send a letter to all the bureaus to have the card report correctly. I'm skeptical that it will happen but I do know that at least one of the cards is reporting.

Did they issue a card in your name as the AU? If so, did you activate it? I had account issues when they claimed the AU's card wasn't activated but fixed that issue over the phone.

You got a bad CSR who doesn't know what they're talking about. That's about typical for CapOne, though. Check the backdoor thread for a better # to call.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 10
rfeit84

They did issue a card in my name, but I have not activated it. Let me get it activated and I will check the backdoor thread and give them a call.

I'll update this thread on the status.

Message 3 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I am an AU on my wife's CapOne card, and it deffientely reports as Authorized user on 3 reports. 

as does my 2x CapOnes that have my wife listed as AU on. Its deffiently helping her report, her one CapOne account and two store cards along with my 2x CapOne got her Invitations to Ap for Gold and Green, don't think they are requesting addresses of people that have 1x MC and a low 600 score. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 10
rfeit84

Thats what I thought, I just didn't understand why she flat out said that Capital One does not report for AU's. And It is my wife's account as well, so our addresses are the same, so I know that isn't an issue. I will be giving them another call to get this fixed.

Message 5 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@rfeit84 wrote:

Thats what I thought, I just didn't understand why she flat out said that Capital One does not report for AU's. And It is my wife's account as well, so our addresses are the same, so I know that isn't an issue. I will be giving them another call to get this fixed.

may take some time...  they are not as fast as GE.. it may help if you let a small balance report, you know the company will update on that. 

if she doesn't have a score at all it will take 6 months before she gets a score even with multiple AU'd cards. my son is still waiting been about 2 months for his score, made him AU as well on my capone cards, 40 months old, perfect payment and low to zero UTL.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 10
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

OP, the CapOne backdoor # I use for EVERY call to CapOne is 800-707-0489 (Senior Escalation Account Mgrs.).

I may not always get the answer I want, but I get the answer that is usually most accurate. And even when I don't get the answer I want, the account managers at this number are always much more pleasant than the frontline CSR's which goes a long way toward keeping the blood pressure stable!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 7 of 10
rfeit84

I activated my card and called one of the backdoor numbers to Capital one. The lady on the phone assured me that they do report to all 3 credit bureaus as an AU. I couldn't get an exact date, but she said they report regularly. Once I see it on my credit report, I will update this thread.

Message 8 of 10
mrcrush20
New Contributor

i am a AU on a capone card that has reported on all three CRs. the card showed up about three months after activation and my parnter the account holder called to say it was not on my CRs. 

advice use YOUR issued card and call its what i did and now i see it reporting fine on all 3 CRs

Message 9 of 10
darvell81
New Visitor

It may not be Cap1 at all if they don't report to all 3 bureaus; recently, I've seen & had my own problems w/ EXPERIAN in their lack of compliance w/ the FCRA. I had some AU's from AMEX I was added on back in '06 that are still reporting regardless of status on EQUIFAX & TRANSUNION but not EXPERIAN! So I called AMEX to get the just of it & the deferred to the bureaus, assuring me that they are the problem. Sure enough, EXPERIAN was the only one not complying!

That's still even to this day. I added my Wife to my MACY's & CAP1... yup, a no-go for them both on EXPERIAN.

This however, may've been when they opted out of the MyFico agreement, from which they just re-entered this year. So if you did AU her during that time, they may not have to count your addition.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.