Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Sallie Mae

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on Sallie Mae

Question: Is there a stipulation with the Amazon purchases?  Like, is it just the items that are "sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon" or is it all sellers?  I know I've read somewhere that the other sellers don't necessarily count but that may not apply to Sallie Mae.

Just curious.  I won't even be looking at carrying the card for at least another year anyway, heh.

Message 11 of 21
wche
Regular Contributor

from my experience, all amazon purchases, whether by amazon, fulfilled by amazon, etc, have earned me 5%

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also read they code Walmart as "grocery" is this accurate? I spend 600-700 a month at Walmart. Seems like this card may be up my alley.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've also read they code Walmart as "grocery" is this accurate? I spend 600-700 a month at Walmart. Seems like this card may be up my alley.

If the WalMart codes as grocery, it will get 5% on the SallieMae.  In my experience, *most* WalMarts code as grocery.  Ones that don't tend to be smaller guys which lack large grocery departments, or stores converted from same.

Remember though, that there's a $250 cap on the grocery category.

Chris.

Message 14 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So what y'all tellin me the cat food amazon sends me every month (subsrciption) is elgible for 5%?  What happens when Chase finds out whats goin on and asks for those points back? 

Most cards base rewards on how a merchant is coded.  Sallie Mae is the same.  You can always refer to the terms:

https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/lp/TnCs.jsp?prodidreq=CCMWC61824

Books – You will earn five (5) Rewards (which includes one (1) Base Reward) on the first $750 charged to the Credit Card Account each billing cycle on Net Purchases of Books. Purchases must be submitted by eligible merchants using the merchant category codes for purchases in this category to qualify for the five (5) Rewards. Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these terms or that use incorrect merchant category codes will not qualify for and you will not receive the five (5) Reward benefit. Barclaycard is not responsible for incorrectly coded purchases. Purchases in this category that exceed the specified monthly limit or that are submitted by the merchant using incorrect merchant category codes, will earn one (1) Base Reward.

Chase isn't going to to anything since the Sallie Mae is issued by Barclay.  As for what Barclay would do, we have no idea.  Any rewards program can certainly change in future but all we can go on is history.

Message 15 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There isn't a stipulation on Amazon purchases since its not an official advertised benefit of the card. From what I hear, basically anything you purchase on there will code as bookstore and 5%.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you spend that amount monthly at Wal-Mart Discover may be a better option since its 5% back with no caps through Discover Deals (not sure what cards you already have). Its not one of the offers with an expiration date this is ongoing and has been consistent since I first got the card in October. But, these purchases have to be made online with Walmart.com and I cant say for certain this deal will always be available. 

Not sure if every Wal-Mart codes as grocery, it may depend on location. Smiley Happy 5% back of a partial amount spent using SM is still better than nothing and the card has other benefits. GL 

Message 17 of 21
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

Those market basket ,price chopper, Stop&Shop shops qualifies as Grocery for Sallimae?

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take pointed out-

"Chase isn't going to to anything since the Sallie Mae is issued by Barclay.  As for what Barclay would do, we have no idea.  Any rewards program can certainly change in future but all we can go on is history."

I meant Barclay.

I'm thinkin we might oughta shut this thread down before someone at Barclay sees it and says, "Hey there's a bunch of guys on myfico buyin flat sreens and stuff and calling it books and getting 5%, get amazon on the phone."

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you spend that amount monthly at Wal-Mart Discover may be a better option since its 5% back with no caps through Discover Deals (not sure what cards you already have). Its not one of the offers with an expiration date this is ongoing and has been consistent since I first got the card in October. But, these purchases have to be made online with Walmart.com and I cant say for certain this deal will always be available. 

Not sure if every Wal-Mart codes as grocery, it may depend on location. Smiley Happy 5% back of a partial amount spent using SM is still better than nothing and the card has other benefits. GL 

Walmart is where we do our grocery shopping so I don't think online would cut it. I'm in the garden for quite a while because I have a huge chunk of balance to pay down, but while I'm pulling weeds and pruning bushes, I'm also on the lookout for the next thing that will get planted. DW and I have discussed moving our grocery shopping to somewhere other than Walmart but its a bullet to bite because they're so much cheaper than the other stores.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.