Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Using my Amex

tag
GQ-007
Valued Member

Re: Question on Using my Amex

I really enjoy this forum and have learned tremendous tips and strategies on how to improve my credit.  However, people sometimes can get paranoid on using credit cards.  My rule of thumb is to use them responsibly and you won't have problems.  I've been an American Express card member for 12yrs and use the Platinum, Premier Gold, SPG, Delta and Blue Sky Preferred.  Right out the envelope, I spent 8000.00 on my SPG for a down payment on my motorcycle without problems.  My Platinum balance has been north of 10,000 without a peep from American Express.  Recently, they offered me 10,000 points and 1500 pts respectively on my Platinum and Premier Gold for signing up for the extended payment plans.  Initially, I intended to turned down the offer but the points junkie in me got the best.

Their are plenty examples of people legitimately mistreated by American Express and others.  And it's wise to learn from those experiences.  But all credit card issuers are in a very competitive business to offer a service to consumers.  For the most part, you do right by them, they will return the favor.  

Message 11 of 17
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

When I received my platinum amex I charged 2200 the very next day. Two weeks later another 1k and then another 2600 a week after that. Paid it as normal and no issues.

I really like amex and am thinking of just investing all my spending with them instead of trying to manage between MR and UR points. 

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 12 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@darkfrosty wrote:

I really like amex and am thinking of just investing all my spending with them instead of trying to manage between MR and UR points. 

This is fine, unless you need UA!  

I find their association with UA/Mariott/Hyatt to be of considerable value that Amex just can't match.  But, if you don't fly UA often or use Mariott/Hyatt, consolidating all your spend into MR isn't a bad idea.

Message 13 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

@GQ-007 wrote:

I really enjoy this forum and have learned tremendous tips and strategies on how to improve my credit.  However, people sometimes can get paranoid on using credit cards.  My rule of thumb is to use them responsibly and you won't have problems.  I've been an American Express card member for 12yrs and use the Platinum, Premier Gold, SPG, Delta and Blue Sky Preferred.  Right out the envelope, I spent 8000.00 on my SPG for a down payment on my motorcycle without problems.  My Platinum balance has been north of 10,000 without a peep from American Express.  Recently, they offered me 10,000 points and 1500 pts respectively on my Platinum and Premier Gold for signing up for the extended payment plans.  Initially, I intended to turned down the offer but the points junkie in me got the best.

Their are plenty examples of people legitimately mistreated by American Express and others.  And it's wise to learn from those experiences.  But all credit card issuers are in a very competitive business to offer a service to consumers.  For the most part, you do right by them, they will return the favor.  

This

Message 14 of 17
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@annebythesea wrote:

I got my BCP card Wed and used it on Thursday for gas and then yesterday for the grocery store and later at Subway for dinner. No problem at all with any of that. Honestly just charge what you need to and pay it off next month. I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of charge you make. The whole point of credit is that you make it work for you, not the only way around,ya know? Smiley Happy 

Just wondering how long it took for your card to arrive? I usually love Sundays, unless I am waiting for a card in the mail. I am waiting for my BCE and days like Sunday just kill me because I see them as a barrier between my and my precious new card. I can't wait for it to arrive. I swear my mailman must think I am crazy because when I am waiting for a card to come I sit there on the steps and stare at him while he walks up my pathway to my door to hand me the mail. Or I wait until I hear him put in the mailbox and rush to the door just to have him still rustling through his bag so it gets a bit awkward. Him staring at me, me staring at him.

Message 15 of 17
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Just wondering how long it took for your card to arrive? I usually love Sundays, unless I am waiting for a card in the mail. I am waiting for my BCE and days like Sunday just kill me because I see them as a barrier between my and my precious new card.

I know the feeling of anticipation... I was approved for the AmEx Gold Card last week, and I can't wait until I finally have it in my hand (just to know that it's really true).

The mailman seems to be so much slower on days like this - I just hope they show up with ballons and champagne when it finally gets here !! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 17
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

Just wondering how long it took for your card to arrive? I usually love Sundays, unless I am waiting for a card in the mail. I am waiting for my BCE and days like Sunday just kill me because I see them as a barrier between my and my precious new card.

I know the feeling of anticipation... I was approved for the AmEx Gold Card last week, and I can't wait until I finally have it in my hand (just to know that it's really true).

The mailman seems to be so much slower on days like this - I just hope they show up with ballons and champagne when it finally gets here !! Smiley Happy

I keep opening the App Status screen just to see my Approved status. It blows me away each time I do it.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.