cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on qualifying for the Barclays card to get a MacBook through Apple?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Question on qualifying for the Barclays card to get a MacBook through Apple?

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgive me in advance, not sure how to quote posts. But to the above user who mentioned that discharge is not a negative, you also mentioned other means, how hard is it to get approved for BestBuy or Amazon, which both sell MacBook's?

Welcome to myFICO! 

Hi @Anonymous, and welcome!

To quote a post, check this link: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Community-Feature-FAQ-s/How-to-Quote-a-Post/td-p/2603189

BestBuy is Citi, and they can be picky at times.  You listed your CK scores earlier; do you know your actual FICO scores?  CK uses Vantage, and sometimes Vantage can be pretty far apart from FICO (in either direction). 

If it were me I would probably try Amazon before BestBuy (Amazon is Synchrony) since they are generally easier to get approved with than Citi.  Synchrony will use TU for your approval... the stronger your TU FICO the better your chances will be.

Regarding your student loan discharge; before moving forward with any applications you will want to make sure (if you haven't already) that your credit reports have been updated to reflect the new status.  Since the accounts are forgiven I'm not sure how your past history will be reflected... with a little luck it will be removed and the status simply updated to reflect that no balance is due.

Thanks for the link, didn't even see the Quote button lol.

I just applied for the Amazon.com Store card, got approved, $400 limit, obviously not enough for a MacBook, but I've been told the more CCs you have, or more than 1, the better your credit will end up, or credit will end up going up higher.

-Jason

Congrats on the Amazon approval!  Smiley Very Happy

Once you get the card in the mail you can try for a CLI... I suggest instead of trying online (button or chat) to simply call Credit Solutions at 877-379-8173. 

They will counter-offer, so be sure to ask for more than you actually need.  (Note that you can try giving them a call today - some have been successful the day they were approved, but sometimes they'll want you to wait on the physical card.)

Message 11 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question on qualifying for the Barclays card to get a MacBook through Apple?

Congrats Jason on your approval. In regards to saying Gamestop is not a reall cc thats bogus. It may not be a bank card, but it revolves and is a store credit card period. 3 cards are best to maximize your credit. Just dont go appi g 100 cards because you feel yyou need lots to have better credit. You get a few and build payment history and this will help your score rise and in turn get better clis.

Amazon can grow. You may want to try calling Credit Solutions to see if you can get a cli. Ask for 5k just to see what they counter with. If they dont approve right off bat, use it alittle let a statement or 2 cut then call again.

Definetly get your real Ficos. The CK score can be useful if you know your Ficos in that you can have a general feeling where you are by like stated above, the differences could be huge. For instance my Vantage score is 646 TU but i know im over 724 Fico. Some may have your 645 but actually be lower so all depends. Best Buy can be picky but when the timing is right, most times they let you pick between store card or visa. Take the visa lol.

Good luck going forward. Remember, research your score, and app only what you need. If you need se ured card to help build your credit maybe check out Boa or Discover. Stay well and ask as many questions as you need before multi appingSmiley Happy, can save lots of headachesSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgive me in advance, not sure how to quote posts. But to the above user who mentioned that discharge is not a negative, you also mentioned other means, how hard is it to get approved for BestBuy or Amazon, which both sell MacBook's?

Welcome to myFICO! 

To quote a post, check this link: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Community-Feature-FAQ-s/How-to-Quote-a-Post/td-p/2603189

BestBuy is Citi, and they can be picky at times.  You listed your CK scores earlier; do you know your actual FICO scores?  CK uses Vantage, and sometimes Vantage can be pretty far apart from FICO (in either direction). 

If it were me I would probably try Amazon before BestBuy (Amazon is Synchrony) since they are generally easier to get approved with than Citi.  Synchrony will use TU for your approval... the stronger your TU FICO the better your chances will be.

Regarding your student loan discharge; before moving forward with any applications you will want to make sure (if you haven't already) that your credit reports have been updated to reflect the new status.  Since the accounts are forgiven I'm not sure how your past history will be reflected... with a little luck it will be removed and the status simply updated to reflect that no balance is due.

I just applied for the Amazon.com Store card, got approved, $400 limit, obviously not enough for a MacBook, but I've been told the more CCs you have, or more than 1, the better your credit will end up, or credit will end up going up higher.

-Jason

Once you get the card in the mail you can try for a CLI... I suggest instead of trying online (button or chat) to simply call Credit Solutions at 877-379-8173. 

They will counter-offer, so be sure to ask for more than you actually need.  (Note that you can try giving them a call today - some have been successful the day they were approved, but sometimes they'll want you to wait on the physical card.)

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try when I get my card, they said over the phone the account wasn't eligible, but I called a different number, do they always do a increase request that takes up to 30 seconds, or does that  number allow me to speak to someone who may be able to make it higher without requesting it in there system?

And thanks to AverageJose, I agree the GS card is a CC, just what they said tio me about it not being one because I can't use it anywhere else. BS to me also.

-Jason

Message 13 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to myFICO! 

-Jason

Thanks so much, I'll give that a try when I get my card, they said over the phone the account wasn't eligible, but I called a different number, do they always do a increase request that takes up to 30 seconds, or does that  number allow me to speak to someone who may be able to make it higher without requesting it in there system?

And thanks to AverageJose, I agree the GS card is a CC, just what they said tio me about it not being one because I can't use it anywhere else. BS to me also.

-Jason

The number I provided was to Synchrony Credit Solutions, and they can do CLIs on most of Synchrony's cards (Amazon, Lowe's, WalMart/Sam's, etc)... usually they'll put you on hold for a few minutes while they pull a fresh TU (almost always a SP, although if you ask they won't know).  Note that they are different from the 'usual' customer service number for the various Synch accounts... as far as I know, Credit Solutions only handles CLIs.

The higher your TU the better they tend to respond (obviously), and since your initial approval was modest it might help to build history for a few months like @AverageJoesCredit suggested.  With a little TLC I suspect you'll have the limit where you need it in no time.  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to myFICO! 

-Jason

-Jason

The number I provided was to Synchrony Credit Solutions, and they can do CLIs on most of Synchrony's cards (Amazon, Lowe's, WalMart/Sam's, etc)... usually they'll put you on hold for a few minutes while they pull a fresh TU (almost always a SP, although if you ask they won't know).  Note that they are different from the 'usual' customer service number for the various Synch accounts... as far as I know, Credit Solutions only handles CLIs.

The higher your TU the better they tend to respond (obviously), and since your initial approval was modest it might help to build history for a few months like @AverageJoesCredit suggested.  With a little TLC I suspect you'll have the limit where you need it in no time.  Smiley Wink

Thanks, tried didn't work.

After signing up for my Amazon.com store credit card account on their bank website(Synchrony), they gave me my FICO for TU, 608, and the payoff of my GS CC hasn't been posted or reported to any of the 3 CBs yet. Hopefully it goes up.

Message 15 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, tried didn't work.

After signing up for my Amazon.com store credit card account on their bank website(Synchrony), they gave me my FICO for TU, 608, and the payoff of my GS CC hasn't been posted or reported to any of the 3 CBs yet. Hopefully it goes up.

Once your TU is a little higher they'll be more responsive.  Many people have reported seeing movement when their TU gets to around 650-ish (some a little lower, others a little higher). 

Credit Solutions is a SP and there's no timeline for when you can check (you can retry anytime) and now that you have a reliable source for a TU FICO you'll be able to keep track of when to give it another try.  Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

A quick update since I last posted, qualified for a Capital One Platinum Card($300 limit), and Credit One Bank ($300 also), then today I qualified for the Overstock.com Card, got a $1500 limit, waiting on a gift card I purchased to ship to my email, and I will be able to get the MacBook 12" that I want.

So now I have 5 Cards(GameStop, Amazon.com, Overstock.com, Capital One, and Credit One), $1050 for GS, $400 for Amazon, $1500 for Overstock, and $300 each for the other two, so I'm happy, I got what I wanted, the ability to get a new MacBook.

Updated scores on CK are, 641 TU, and 680 EQ, I know they're not accurate, but they'e the ones who suggested both the Capiral One and Credit One cards. I did this check out trick with Overstock to get pre approved, then tried it and got the 1500 limit, might have helped that I have a card from Comenity Bank already(GS).

-Jason

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.