cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on when i should ask for cli after paying down cards?

tag
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Question on when i should ask for cli after paying down cards?

I want to ask for CLI on gf cards balances are high now but i will use my money to pay them down in order to get cli on her cards. What do u think is the best way to do it? pay half then ask or pay all the way down then ask? Also after i pay them how long should i wait until we request it?

The cards r Amazon visa, Orchard bank, first premier, mets. Also would it matter if i pay 1 down or should i pay down each of them then ask? They all pretty much have high balances but she has pretty damn good credit like 700ish average. Oh she also has a royal carribean with a 12k limiit and almost maxed but that is to much to pay down just yet, if u could tell me what to do with this card so i know when the time comes.

Also im au on all these cards so this will help my credit also too :-).

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Legions36
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question on when i should ask for cli after paying down cards?

Bump... Anyone??

EQ-784 TU-777 EXP-772 12/11/15

NFCU(11.5k), USAA(6k), DCU(10k), Sapphire(5k), Duck(5k), Freedom(1k), Quicksilver(3k), DiscoverIT(2k), AmexBCE($800),
New cards 12/12-NFCU-MC(18.5k), Simplicity(9.2k),Slate(7.5k),Amex(3.8k)
Message 2 of 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Legions36 wrote:

I want to ask for CLI on gf cards balances are high now but i will use my money to pay them down in order to get cli on her cards. What do u think is the best way to do it? pay half then ask or pay all the way down then ask? Also after i pay them how long should i wait until we request it?

The cards r Amazon visa, Orchard bank, first premier, mets. Also would it matter if i pay 1 down or should i pay down each of them then ask? They all pretty much have high balances but she has pretty damn good credit like 700ish average. Oh she also has a royal carribean with a 12k limiit and almost maxed but that is to much to pay down just yet, if u could tell me what to do with this card so i know when the time comes.

Also im au on all these cards so this will help my credit also too :-).

First check to see if anything cards have promotion interest (0% for X months) , if they have them pay them down last. Then pay down the highest interest cards first, see if you can PIF any of the smaller cards so you don't have to make a minimum payment on those. Work on paying down any cards thave are over 70% UTL. They kill your score and chances of getting CLI's. Sounds like you need to pay down the debt first at least to below 50% then perhaps a CLI will happen. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 4
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I would say to pay all of the cards down to below 45% UTIL (at least) and get total UTIL below 30%. Pay off the smaller balances in full and let the new reduced balances report for about 2-3 months. I like to let smaller balances report for a couple months so I dont look like Im 'credit hunting'

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.