Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re AMEX AU - age of account

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Question re AMEX AU - age of account

I added my sister to my Zync card that is backdated on my account to 1993.  I was thinking that this would give her a really nice bump in AAoA.  However, her score dropped down 8 points on EQ as her new report shows that the card was opened in Nov 2012 and not 1993.  Is this correct? I wanted to help her report out and I ended up hurting it.

Please advise.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
snowsurf7
Established Member

Re: Question re AMEX AU - age of account

When my dad added me to his Clear it showed the date that MY card was issued on my credit report. When contacting them I was informed that since its a new account number and that I was basically a new member I would not be backdated.

Discover IT, BofA Cash Rewards, Citi Forward, AMEX Green, CapitalOne Cash Rewards, Chase Freedom, Wal-Mart Store
Message 2 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

Amex changed their policies last year, they're trying to weed out people who try to back date their AU accounts to the Primary's start date, although if your sister's online site states 1993 you should be fine, it can take a couple months to apply. On the card however something you can try to test out is in a month or so report the card lost or stolen sometimes they'll issue you a new card with the 1993 date if it does show up online. Otherwise a person will only get backdated to when they had a card and number in their name primary or au.

so it's not all a loss in worst case scenario you locked her member start date to 2012 which can be nice. so if she opens a card in January she'll have a new card reporting from January 2012.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Ok.  So its like a new account without the HP in terms of FICO scoring.  If I had known that I would had added her to my NFCU where the CL would help her more.

Edit: Just checked.  The website says member since 2012.

Message 4 of 10
snowsurf7
Established Member

Not trying to thread jack but distantarray I have a quick question for you (might also help the op). Does paying my own charges on an AU AMEX contribute to my internal score with them or do they just count it as the primary's history?

Discover IT, BofA Cash Rewards, Citi Forward, AMEX Green, CapitalOne Cash Rewards, Chase Freedom, Wal-Mart Store
Message 5 of 10
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Amex Additional Card Members (NOT AU) are really only useful for two things: if that person can use the card to help you gain benefits, or if they are just starting out in credit. Having someone you trust use the card for bonus categories helps you earn miles/points/cash/etc. It used to be that if you were made an ACM in 2012, when you later on went to get your own card, it would backdate to 2012. This is no longer automatic, but many have had success getting this done. So if your sister doesn't have an Amex and is years away from wanting/qualifying for one, this may help her in the long run. But it doesn't give the original cardmember's history the way a traditional AU card would.

It can be frustrating, though. My wife is an Amex member since 1992. I made her an ACM on my hilton surpass because she buys most of the gas in the family (I mostly drive a scooter) and because she often stays at hilton hotels for work. There was no fee for the ACM, so why not? But her card is dated 2012 and her credit reports reflect this. We have tried several times getting her card backdated to her member since date (she has an active blue with that date, so not even looking in archives) and have failed. So not only did she not get my backdating, she didn't even get hers. Her scores are >760, so it doesn't really matter, but might screw someone up whose scores were lower or whose file was thinner.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

@snowsurf7 wrote:

Not trying to thread jack but distantarray I have a quick question for you (might also help the op). Does paying my own charges on an AU AMEX contribute to my internal score with them or do they just count it as the primary's history?

I would think so, since things like Amex prepaid credit cards were designed to see your spending habits to see if you can get approved for one.

My dad always hated credit cards, so he never used them.  I got him to sign up for Chase Sapphire, and Amex Delta Skymiles and made myself a authorized user (with his consent) then used them for 4-6months for EVERYTHING. then with a limited credit history (after having bad credit for about 13 years) I cleaned up all my reports then applied for cards on my own. 14 months AAOA with a max of $3,900 personal credit limit with secured accounts.

Instantly approved for $5,500 with Amex BCP, and $5,000 with Chase Sapphire and $3,000 with Chase Freedom.  over trippling my limits overnight, then Navy Federal which made a HUGE jump =) then reconned things for a higher limits of course Smiley Wink my score was 758 when I apped for stuff.

So no i'm not 100% sure, but from my experience it would REALLY make me believe it does factor into their internal scoring.

Message 7 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Its an emergency card for her.  Her credit is in the dumps and she doesnt have a good card with credit limit.  So it will serve that function nicely.  I had hoped that it would help her AAoA but that doesnt seem to be the case.  Maybe she will get lucky and this will serve as her member since date for future cards.  I'll just have to keep helping her on her PFD's and GW so we can  get her scores up.

Message 8 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Its an emergency card for her.  Her credit is in the dumps and she doesnt have a good card with credit limit.  So it will serve that function nicely.  I had hoped that it would help her AAoA but that doesnt seem to be the case.  Maybe she will get lucky and this will serve as her member since date for future cards.  I'll just have to keep helping her on her PFD's and GW so we can  get her scores up.

what I think is funny is even though she didn't get backdated , her account SHOULD reflect your age on your card. so if she gets a card she can get backdated only to 2012, but your card report from your card should reflect a 1993 date on her report. that's what I'm not sure about.  although it might cause problems cause that card was backdated, not too sure on this case.

Message 9 of 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

It's odd. Ill keep rebuilding her credit (got it up 60 pts so far) and at end of the day she will be in better position.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.