Question regarding an inquiry

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Question regarding an inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

Yeah don't use the misleading EQ online INQ dispute option, they come back verified AND they add a 7 year Fraud Alert to your file without a phone number. Thus you then need to fax in documentation to prove who you are to delete it or add a number. Best advice? Freeze all three, that way no surprises and you're in control.

Big +1

I was pretty bummed to see that freezes apparently don't prevent hard pulls from supposed "investment companies", ie JDB.  Also surprised to see that my CMS (USAA) also never emailed me to let me know about this new inquiry.  Here I thought I took all the steps to prevent surprises like this.

No, freezing doesn't prevent anyone w/PP from pulling your CR. It only prevents NEW potential creditors from doing so.

Your USAA CMS should have sent you an alert about the inq. You should give them a call and let them know you didn't get it. It could be that there is a problem with the email address they have for you or something else causing the problem. Also, they will usually credit you if you're not getting the alerts like you should be, so you might be able to get comped a month of service.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.
Message 12 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

Yeah don't use the misleading EQ online INQ dispute option, they come back verified AND they add a 7 year Fraud Alert to your file without a phone number. Thus you then need to fax in documentation to prove who you are to delete it or add a number. Best advice? Freeze all three, that way no surprises and you're in control.

Big +1

I was pretty bummed to see that freezes apparently don't prevent hard pulls from supposed "investment companies", ie JDB.  Also surprised to see that my CMS (USAA) also never emailed me to let me know about this new inquiry.  Here I thought I took all the steps to prevent surprises like this.

CMS from USAA is not instantaneous. From my experience it takes two weeks for it to mail the alert. CR freeze doesn't work on these service providers.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two weeks, wow, that is ridiculous.  I could understand a couple days, but 2 weeks is way too long.  A lot of damage could get done in 2 weeks.

Message 14 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I've not had a 2-week delay. Sometimes there is a delay of maybe 2 to 3 days, but NOT weeks. And you can pull your CR as often as you want (well, daily), so even if you don't get an alert, you can still check your report if you're waiting for something to change. I'll check my CR when I'm waiting for an updated balance to report since those aren't part of their alert system anyway.

When my last inq reported, I got the alert about 2 days after the inq.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 15 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Was this a CA that added a HP to your files Jimbo?? If so who was it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

Was this a CA that added a HP to your files Jimbo?? If so who was it?

It was, Enterprise United Partners, and they sound like a real fun bunch to deal with based on what I can find about them online.  They seem to buy super old CC debt and call people pretending to be a process server to tell them they are getting sued.  Just Google the company name if you are looking for an interesting read.  The first couple results and their BBB page are pretty awful.  Good thing I know my rights.

I sitll don't know what it is in regarding.  The more I think, it could be an old CC I had when I was in college (the first time).  It charged off about 9 years ago.  I also have received 2 calls from unknown numbers the day they pulled my report, so I'm assuming that was them.  However, I never answer calls from blocked numbers, so I don't know.  Dunning notice is in the mail and I am just hoping they slip up.  This looks like the kind of place that doesn't seem interested in following the FDCPA, so maybe I can ring them up on a few violations.

Here are more details on what's going on with them and me if you're interested:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Dunning-Notice-Rules-Heard-of-Enterprise-Unit...

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.