Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question to those got FR from Amex

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Question to those got FR from Amex

. I am debating what I should about my accounts with Amex.  I have question to those who had FR with Amex. What is your experience and outcome? Please share your experiences

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: Question to those got FR from Amex

What card specific?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I posted this before, but they got me after I tried to charge a decent-sized legal bill for a biz formation. The charge was declined despite their "test" charge showing that the purchase would be OK. I sent in their request via a 4506T, and it seems like other stuff (paystubs?). I can't remember. I understated my income at app time and they reestablished the Green with no issues, but did assign a fixed CL of $7k, which is slightly higher than my personal budget on that card anyway. No grudges here. The CSR said the legal charge did it. It was also at the time I had higher than normal util reporting and had charged more that month than I ever had before. I see why it happened.

Message 3 of 14
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Basically, you were approved (without FR) then wanted to make a big purchased but denied? That's funny because I thought AMEX would only FR during the application process, after that you should be safe. Also, you checkd your internal spending limit, and still got declined? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still a newbie.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 4 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Basically, you were approved (without FR) then wanted to make a big purchased but denied? That's funny because I thought AMEX would only FR during the application process, after that you should be safe. Also, you checkd your internal spending limit, and still got declined? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm still a newbie.

No, they will FR you after, often long after (months and years), you get approved. There's debate among Amex cardholders as to what can trigger a FR. They love to soft our reports to make sure we aren't getting into trouble, but they'll track your spending habits too. Some say that purchases at certain areas/venues can trigger an alert. It would be indicative (in their own mind) that we are getting into trouble therefore a FR may be in order. In my case, it was for legal fees for a business. My attorney also does BK (and there's no way they can know that quickly) but maybe in Amex's eyes I was in legal trouble and therefore a credit risk. Some say Amex will FR you for using your card while gambling, or even using it at WalMart (though I used it there before without issue). Search around and you'll find a few threads on where to and where not to use the card.

Message 5 of 14
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

There was an article about this. There was a gentleman who used his AMEX blue at wal-mart and AMEX thought he was a financial risk so they reduced his CL from 10k down to I believe 3k? Anyway, AMEX claim that they no longer practice profiling after that incident because it was made public and became controversial. Hopefully, that is true because I will continue to shop at wall-mart with my Zync despite what AMEX want( I'm a student and I must be frugal! at this moment). However, I highly doubt they would FR someone with a ZYNC unless the user wants to make a rediculous purchase of (10k or more) because Zync  specifically target college student with low-income and fresh credit history. AMEX better meant it when they claim they no longer Profile where a person shops!

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 14
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

Don't worry about using your card a Walmart , McDonalds, or BigLots.

Read my thread I just posted.

Message 7 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

In addition to 4506 will they consider other financial information? My income this year is lot higher than last year. I am going to call them tomorrow morning and see what I can do to resolve the FR situation. I dont mind asking them to cancel my cards, but this time I am thinking of providing them the information they want ( not sure if it  makes them happy  or not ) and see if I can make up with Amex. I know it is self inflicted and my apping too many accounts caused their action. I have no regrets to what I did and I have nothing against Amex for doing FR. I'll call them first thing in the morning and talk to them and  from there.

Message 8 of 14
mross1080
Established Contributor

Im currently in the middle of a FR. Charging rent is what triggered mine. Even though it recommends it on there sight. They said they would except 3 months bank statements and 2 recent paystubs. I spoke to the CSR yesterday and she said she would call me around noon when she recieves everything and reviews it so I'll keep you updated. But also what I dont like is whomever gets your FR is the only person that can handle it or even talk to you about it.

Message 9 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

IME, at the point of F/R, Amex isn't particularly interested in having any sort of dialogue with the card holder.

If the member undergoing F/R doesn't want to provide the documents requested, then they can 1. close the acct(s) or 2. have acct(s) closed by grantor. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.