Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question

I've had a BOA Amex since 05 and Cap1 since 2006. My question is would it look better to have another company in my file? Or are the two good. I dont need the credit to buy anything, my thought was it would be good to have a long history with 3 "different" companies. 

BOA Amex 0 bal - 1K cl
Cap1         223bal - 2750CL
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Question

I personally think you should have at least 3 credit cards for scoring purposes, and also to have some more options should one treat you badly.

On another note, maybe you could call BoA and get them to bump up your CL.

Since your history is young, it might be a good idea to find out several cards you might like to have, and try to get them all in the next year so they can all age together (maybe three more cards instead of just one). If you get five total, remember to keep a balance on two or fewer.
Message 2 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would for sure ask BofA to increase your credit line.  Then I would add a store card to the mix and possibly another credit card too.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does the extra card help with scoring? My Util right now is about 7%
Message 4 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

adding a store card would give you a credit "mix" which fico likes for some reason.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about Discover
Message 6 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I say GO FOR IT! let us know
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I guess 3 is better than 2?
Message 8 of 13
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
How does the extra card help with scoring? My Util right now is about 7%

If you have a car loan and a mortgage, along with the recommended one card reporting a balance, you will need to have at least 3 more cards to balance out the accounts showing balances on your CR.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No car loan.. no mortgage
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.