cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Barclaycard Pre-approval mailings.

tag
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Questions about Barclaycard Pre-approval mailings.

This is a bit strange to me, so I wanted to ask the community if they have ever faced a similar situation.

I opened a Barclaycard Rewards account in February.  At the time it was 24.99% APR.  I got a mailing in July for the same card, saying I was pre-approved.  I decided to apply since it had a lower APR.  I was approved, and then combined my old bacrclay accounts to the new one.  This closed the old accounts.

Yesterday, I get *another* preapproval letter in the mail for the same card.   I'm obviously not going to apply again,  but what gives?  Are they going to be sending me pre-approvals for a new card every month now?  lol?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about Barclaycard Pre-approval mailings.

Lenders do that. It's pure marketing, e.g Chase, I have the freedom and occasionally get mailers still.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 6
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

So they can still decline you if they send you pre-approvals though, right?  I mean, every time you apply, at minimum you add an inq to your report.  At some point, there has to be a threshold that they don't like you to pass, are they just going to ignore that if you just happen to be there and then approve you anyway?

Pre-approvals aren't guarantees in other words, is what I'm pretty much asking.

Message 3 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You got it exactly right. I doubt they'd keep approving you for the same card. Pre approvals tell you that you're what they're looking for in a customer, but by no means does it guarantee anything.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 6
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

No pre approvals are not guarantees, sometimes just means a better chance for approval
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i keep getting the same marketing for their rewards card... whatever the case I am so happy to start seeing barclay card preapps... i had heard they stopped doing that for some time. so good news right

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.