Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about CareCredit

tag
kats_rebuild
Contributor

Questions about CareCredit

I need to have some dental work done and trying to determine the best way to finance it. The total cost will be roughtly $3,500. Due to the nature of the work, I will have several appointments and the $3500 will likely be charged over the course of 6 weeks. I have the following questions:

1. How does CareCredit determine how many months you get to pay off a balance? I see they offer 6,12,18 and 24 months, but how do you know which one will apply? Is this based on total amout charged? Is it required to charge that amount all at once?

2. If I charge $1000 at one visit and then 2 weeks later charge another $1000. Does CareCredit apply the same financing rules? Or is each purchase on it's own multi-month interest free promotion?

3. Would it make sense to just consider the Citi Simplicity instead? Twenty one months of 0% intro APR would be more than enough time to pay off the work. Are there benefits that CareCredit has over the Citi Simplicity card when used for dental work?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice. 

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about CareCredit

I've always considered CareCredit and Retail cards in general good options when you do not have a very long introduction rate, cant qualify for a new bankcard with 0% or score limit high enough with a bank card. if you qualify for the same thing with Citibank, your limit is enough to make it work then I would go Citibank. Youd need to talk to the billing girl at the dental office to make sure each 1,000 purchase can be deferred w/ carecredit otherwise you're going to get slamed Interest up front.
Message 2 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I went through almost exactly this scenario. It didn't work out well, partly because I wasn't versed on things like utilization and maxed out cards at the time.

Anyway, my dentist's office convinced me to apply for CareCredit against my better judgment. My bill for upcoming appointments was not quite $3,800. All appointments were charged to the card at once. The reason for doing that was that the larger charge gave me an 18-month promo. Just as an example, a subsequent charge of less than $300 gave me a 6-month promo.

The problem came when CareCredit approved me for a $4,000 limit. I walked out of the office 95% maxed out. Neither the dentist's office nor CareCredit should have allowed that to happen. Had I known better, I'd have refused to accept the card or refused to allow the office to submit the charge. A few weeks later, I started reading about utilization and maxed out cards and started paying down my bill immediately. Of course, that defeats the purpose of 0% interest. And Synchrony didn't like the large payments and waited about 10 days to apply restore my limit. But I wasn't about to take the bite out of my score or risk adverse action from other lenders.

I recently looked back at CareCredit's application. One of the things you're asked is the estimated cost of the procedure. Apparently, that's part of how they determine your limit. I suppose one option is to fudge that amount and use a higher number, but I don't really like the idea of being less than truthful. On the other hand, if you anticipate future use of the card, maybe you're still in the truthful category. Smiley Happy

Besides refusing, another option would have been to ask CareCredit to immediately increase the limit. $13,500 would have been ideal, as I'd have been below the 28.9% threshold that would have been considered "responsible." If that couldn't be done, an $8,000 limit would have kept me under 50%.

Anyway, beware. If your limit's OK, go ahead. But I like the idea of a Visa/MC with a 0% promo better. At least you have a card that can be used anywhere once your balance is paid down.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I went through almost exactly this scenario. It didn't work out well, partly because I wasn't versed on things like utilization and maxed out cards at the time.

Anyway, my dentist's office convinced me to apply for CareCredit against my better judgment. My bill for upcoming appointments was not quite $3,800. All appointments were charged to the card at once. The reason for doing that was that the larger charge gave me an 18-month promo. Just as an example, a subsequent charge of less than $300 gave me a 6-month promo.

The problem came when CareCredit approved me for a $4,000 limit. I walked out of the office 95% maxed out. Neither the dentist's office nor CareCredit should have allowed that to happen. Had I known better, I'd have refused to accept the card or refused to allow the office to submit the charge. A few weeks later, I started reading about utilization and maxed out cards and started paying down my bill immediately. Of course, that defeats the purpose of 0% interest. And Synchrony didn't like the large payments and waited about 10 days to apply restore my limit. But I wasn't about to take the bite out of my score or risk adverse action from other lenders.

I recently looked back at CareCredit's application. One of the things you're asked is the estimated cost of the procedure. Apparently, that's part of how they determine your limit. I suppose one option is to fudge that amount and use a higher number, but I don't really like the idea of being less than truthful. On the other hand, if you anticipate future use of the card, maybe you're still in the truthful category. Smiley Happy

Besides refusing, another option would have been to ask CareCredit to immediately increase the limit. $13,500 would have been ideal, as I'd have been below the 28.9% threshold that would have been considered "responsible." If that couldn't be done, an $8,000 limit would have kept me under 50%.

Anyway, beware. If your limit's OK, go ahead. But I like the idea of a Visa/MC with a 0% promo better. At least you have a card that can be used anywhere once your balance is paid down.

The above is exactly why I decided to go with Discover It instead of Care Credit, which I had been considering, as I really need to have at least cleaning done and possibly some dental work, plus which I've had to pay for insulin prescriptions recently. In fact, the prescriptions were how I broke in my new Discover.

Message 4 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

CareCredit is AWESOME ! I have 3 charges on 24,18, 12 months. All from the dentist ! The total cost determines the length and plan the dentist is on.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kats_rebuild wrote:

I need to have some dental work done and trying to determine the best way to finance it. The total cost will be roughtly $3,500. Due to the nature of the work, I will have several appointments and the $3500 will likely be charged over the course of 6 weeks. I have the following questions:

1. How does CareCredit determine how many months you get to pay off a balance? I see they offer 6,12,18 and 24 months, but how do you know which one will apply? Is this based on total amout charged? Is it required to charge that amount all at once?

2. If I charge $1000 at one visit and then 2 weeks later charge another $1000. Does CareCredit apply the same financing rules? Or is each purchase on it's own multi-month interest free promotion?

3. Would it make sense to just consider the Citi Simplicity instead? Twenty one months of 0% intro APR would be more than enough time to pay off the work. Are there benefits that CareCredit has over the Citi Simplicity card when used for dental work?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice. 

I think a promotional 0% rate on purchases would be just as good, and of course the mastercard would be much more useful.

I used to have Care Credit but cancelled it after learning that when it gives you the promotional 0% deal it charges the dentist an arm and a leg.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 10
kats_rebuild
Contributor

So I went ahead and applied for the Citi Simplicity...was approved but with a low limit, only $4500. While this will cover the needed dental work it will tank my 5% utlitization. I have no forseeable need to apply for additional credit in the immediate future, but I wouldn't want the utilization to cause AA from other lenders. 

I might try calling tomorrow to see if I can recon the CL. I have a Citi DC with an 8k limit. I would be happy if they could match that.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Message 7 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kats_rebuild wrote:

So I went ahead and applied for the Citi Simplicity...was approved but with a low limit, only $4500. While this will cover the needed dental work it will tank my 5% utlitization. I have no forseeable need to apply for additional credit in the immediate future, but I wouldn't want the utilization to cause AA from other lenders. 

I might try calling tomorrow to see if I can recon the CL. I have a Citi DC with an 8k limit. I would be happy if they could match that.

Good luck with it

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can't hurt to do CareCredit as well and use both. Well the dental work is going to hurt. I know the AA stories all over the place but I don't see a lot of adverse action when people are using the 0% heavy, just on one account. Id go for it
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.