Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-25-2012
0

Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

Hi all,

Long time lurker to the forums, just finally decided to join up as I have a few questions and would like some advice from you all.  I am 22, and thinking of changing around some of my credit cards + applying for a new card.  I currently have 7 cards: Target store (my oldest account, opened after I turned 18), citi forward (converted from mtvU), chase freedom, BoA AMNH Visa Signature, Gap Visa, Discover More, and most recently, Amex PRG (6/12).

 

I am interested in finding out if I can get a PC for my Chase Freedom from a regular Visa to a Visa Signature (I like some of the perks associated with the Signature).  I've had the cards since '09, and my limit has been at 5K for over a year now.  I'm looking to use it as an alternative to my BoA card (because the rewards on that card are terrible - it needs to be sock-drawered!).  Does anyone know if this is a hard/soft pull?  If its a hard pull, I will probably wait on doing this, which brings me to my next point..

 

I am also interested in applying for a Blue Cash Preferred card.  As I said, I'm 22, and still finishing up my undergrad, so I'm realizing that its not making a whole lot of sense to hold onto the PRG card when 1. I can't justify paying $175/year when I am not able to reap a lot of the benefits of having the card - namely travel.  Since I have until 6/13 (before that AF kicks in), I'm thinking of applying for the BCP as its' cashback categories better reflect where my spending actually lies (groceries & dept stores, + gas here and there).  Also, since this is a revolving card versus a charge like my PRG, will it still backdate (assuming I apply in Jan '13 as intended?)

 

Lastly, has anyone had any success in getting the APR for their Chase Freedom lowered?  My apr on that card is something like 23%, which is higher than the range they currently offer to new applicants!  I've called twice now and gotten the 'we will review your account in 6 months' speech.  My lowest apr is my Citi Forward (at 10.74 and dropping every quarter until I hit 9.24), but they don't want to hear this.  

 

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice, everyone!


Building the perfect card portfolio, one app at a time.
Available credit: $60+k - INQs: 1 TU, 1 EX, 0 EQ
Discover TU 1/15: 772 Quizzle EQ: 1/19/15: 776
CK: 796 1/19/15 & CS: 771 1/19/15
Planned apps: NONE! Gardening indefinitely! - Palladium Spade 1/14/15
Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

[ Edited ]

I just did it.. converted my chase freedom to a Signature account.  I have had my account for years though.   BTW its not a true PC its an upgrade to the current product as nothing other then card member terms change, your account number will stay the same as well oh and yes your card will then say Signature under the visa logo :smileyhappy: The card will report as a flexable spending account as well.

 

Also your BCE once opened can be back dated because of your PRG once your an AmEx member your a member.  Just request the backdate after activating your card.

 

I didn't ask to have my Freedom card apr lowered as I PIF every month but they did auto lower it from 18.24 to 14.99 on me about 2 months ago.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Regular Contributor
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-25-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

Thanks for getting back to me.. when you converted, was there a hard pull on your CR to do so?  I want to call and make the switch, but I don't want to add any inquiries for when I apply for the BCP in January (waiting until then so I can get my utilization down).  The only other inquiry is Amex's own for the PRG in June.


Building the perfect card portfolio, one app at a time.
Available credit: $60+k - INQs: 1 TU, 1 EX, 0 EQ
Discover TU 1/15: 772 Quizzle EQ: 1/19/15: 776
CK: 796 1/19/15 & CS: 771 1/19/15
Planned apps: NONE! Gardening indefinitely! - Palladium Spade 1/14/15
Blogger
Posts: 3,330
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

[ Edited ]

leoment wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.. when you converted, was there a hard pull on your CR to do so?  I want to call and make the switch, but I don't want to add any inquiries for when I apply for the BCP in January (waiting until then so I can get my utilization down).  The only other inquiry is Amex's own for the PRG in June.


Such an upgrade is not a conversion and will not result in an inquiry at all.

 

BTW, what didn't you like about the BofA card? Do you have the 1-2-3 Cash Rewards?

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-25-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

Thanks!  I might try giving Chase a call in the morning and seeing if they will convert my account then!

 

My card doesn't carry any sort of perks to it, unfortunately :\  I applied for it sometime in 2010 along with the Discover More card (which I was initially denied for).  Every now and again they will send me an offer for 5x worldpoints on categories, but its otherwise 1 point/$1.  Not the worst, but factoring in how lackluster the Worldpoints redemptions are, I'm wanting to leave this card behind for better things. (I just checked their mall now, and they offer $100 gift cards for 12,000 points - which is a JOKE compared to Chase's UR and even Citi's TYP)

 

The card is still in rotation because its: 1. my highest CL at the moment, 2. my second lowest APR (12.99%), 3. visa signature (I use this for discounts on things like movie tickets)


Building the perfect card portfolio, one app at a time.
Available credit: $60+k - INQs: 1 TU, 1 EX, 0 EQ
Discover TU 1/15: 772 Quizzle EQ: 1/19/15: 776
CK: 796 1/19/15 & CS: 771 1/19/15
Planned apps: NONE! Gardening indefinitely! - Palladium Spade 1/14/15
Regular Contributor
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-25-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..

Update:

 

Chase refused to upgrade my account, couldn't tell me why.

 

I'm finding less and less reasons to hang onto the card.  It seems they're not willing to work with me at all (since I've tried unsuccessfully 2x for an apr reduction).  At this point, I only use the card for 0% balance transfers, and I think it'll continue to be that way.  Its unfortunate that a bank would seriously rather me close my account than work with me to make it into something I can use more (and ultimately benefit both of us).

 

I had considered adding their Sapphire preferred card to my wallet down the line - now I don't think so.  Really disappointed in their business decisions atm.


Building the perfect card portfolio, one app at a time.
Available credit: $60+k - INQs: 1 TU, 1 EX, 0 EQ
Discover TU 1/15: 772 Quizzle EQ: 1/19/15: 776
CK: 796 1/19/15 & CS: 771 1/19/15
Planned apps: NONE! Gardening indefinitely! - Palladium Spade 1/14/15
Blogger
Posts: 3,330
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..


leoment wrote:

Thanks!  I might try giving Chase a call in the morning and seeing if they will convert my account then!

 

My card doesn't carry any sort of perks to it, unfortunately :\  I applied for it sometime in 2010 along with the Discover More card (which I was initially denied for).  Every now and again they will send me an offer for 5x worldpoints on categories, but its otherwise 1 point/$1.  Not the worst, but factoring in how lackluster the Worldpoints redemptions are, I'm wanting to leave this card behind for better things. (I just checked their mall now, and they offer $100 gift cards for 12,000 points - which is a JOKE compared to Chase's UR and even Citi's TYP)

 

The card is still in rotation because its: 1. my highest CL at the moment, 2. my second lowest APR (12.99%), 3. visa signature (I use this for discounts on things like movie tickets)


You should ask for a PC to the BankAmericard Cash Rewards, which offers 2% and 3% cash back for certain categories and 1% for everything else. Their cash back system is very efficient, and if you have a checking account with them and deposit your cash back into it, you receive an extra 10% on the deposited amount.

 

Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Questions about Chase Freedom PC & Amex apps..


leoment wrote:

Update:

 

Chase refused to upgrade my account, couldn't tell me why.

 

I'm finding less and less reasons to hang onto the card.  It seems they're not willing to work with me at all (since I've tried unsuccessfully 2x for an apr reduction).  At this point, I only use the card for 0% balance transfers, and I think it'll continue to be that way.  Its unfortunate that a bank would seriously rather me close my account than work with me to make it into something I can use more (and ultimately benefit both of us).

 

I had considered adding their Sapphire preferred card to my wallet down the line - now I don't think so.  Really disappointed in their business decisions atm.


Ask to speak with thier executive office (back door) and see if they can give you signature. 

 

I emailed them through the site and they told me they couldn't upgrade me to the signature however they forwarded my email to their back office who called me and told me they were going to upgrade me.  My account used to be a WaMu ESPN Total Access Visa.  As you may or may not know we former WaMu customers get no respect from Chase.  Everything I have ever had to get done on this account has been pulling teeth I swear.  But Yelled loud enough I got everything I wanted mostly through their Executive office :smileywink:

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.