Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Inquiries and Account Reviews

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about Inquiries and Account Reviews

For the past year, for some reason TransUnion has only been counting my “recent” inquiries (i.e. inquiries within the last 6 months). Every credit monitoring service I have used (i.e. myFico, Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, and a few others) have only being showing between 2-3 inquiries on TU, even though I really have 12 in the past 2 years.

Sometimes TU would add an inquiry and then remove it the next month, but it always showed between 2-3 inquiries on these crediting monitoring services. If I were to look at a hard copy of my credit report directly from TU, it would show all 12 inquiries – it just never showed them on any credit monitoring service, even if I was looking at my full report.

Back in March I went on an app spree, and one of the cards I got was the Ring (Barclay is a TU puller) and at the time of app my TU was only showing 2 inquiries.

Fast forward to today, I get an alert from myFico saying my TU score has changed. Sure enough my score dropped 12 points. I look at the reason and it says “too many inquiries in last 12 months.” I’ve only added one inquiry to my TU report since I app’d for the Ring,

So I head over to CK since it’s time for my weekly update anyway, and sure enough, it says 10 inquiries have been added to my TU report since my last update a week ago  Smiley Surprised So I look at the inquiries and they are all old ones from last year.

So here’s my questions:

1. Why in the heck did I lose 12 points on TU when these are old inquiries?

1. If TU’s own computer system couldn’t figure out that these are old inquiries that had already been on my report, does this mean my credit card companies’ computer systems are also going to view this the same way? Meaning, is it going to look to a computer reviewing my account that I just added 10 inquiries to my TU report?

My main concern is with Barclay, since they SP my TU report constantly and we know they are new account and inquiry sensitive.

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about Inquiries and Account Reviews

@Anonymous wrote:

For the past year, for some reason TransUnion has only been counting my “recent” inquiries (i.e. inquiries within the last 6 months). Every credit monitoring service I have used (i.e. myFico, Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, and a few others) have only being showing between 2-3 inquiries on TU, even though I really have 12 in the past 2 years.

Sometimes TU would add an inquiry and then remove it the next month, but it always showed between 2-3 inquiries on these crediting monitoring services. If I were to look at a hard copy of my credit report directly from TU, it would show all 12 inquiries – it just never showed them on any credit monitoring service, even if I was looking at my full report.

Back in March I went on an app spree, and one of the cards I got was the Ring (Barclay is a TU puller) and at the time of app my TU was only showing 2 inquiries.

Fast forward to today, I get an alert from myFico saying my TU score has changed. Sure enough my score dropped 12 points. I look at the reason and it says “too many inquiries in last 12 months.” I’ve only added one inquiry to my TU report since I app’d for the Ring,

So I head over to CK since it’s time for my weekly update anyway, and sure enough, it says 10 inquiries have been added to my TU report since my last update a week ago  Smiley Surprised So I look at the inquiries and they are all old ones from last year.

So here’s my questions:

1. If TU’s own computer system couldn’t figure out that these are old inquiries that had already been on my report, does this mean my credit card companies’ computer systems are also going to view this the same way? Meaning, is it going to look to a computer reviewing my account that I just added 10 inquiries to my TU report?

My main concern is with Barclay, since they SP my TU report constantly and we know they are new account and inquiry sensitive.

Maybe, but even if that is the case you should be able to explain that those are old inquiries by just calling and talking to an analyst if they take any AA. 

If they say that this is too many for them, you can't technically argue since that would imply the only reason they approved you is because they saw an inaccurate report. However i doubt you will have any problems just with some 2014 inquiries. I applied for Barclays with 8 inquiries in the previoust 8 months and they gave me a 10k limit. 

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe, but even if that is the case you should be able to explain that those are old inquiries by just calling and talking to an analyst if they take any AA. 

If they say that this is too many for them, you can't technically argue since that would imply the only reason they approved you is because they saw an inaccurate report. However i doubt you will have any problems just with some 2014 inquiries. I applied for Barclays with 8 inquiries in the previoust 8 months and they gave me a 10k limit. 

I hope I don't have to worry about it. I'm just afraid that if the computer does take AA, that even under a manual review they'd say that if they would have known I had so many inquiries they wouldn't have approved me in the first place... lol. It just sucks - darn you TU! Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here’s my questions:

I wouldn't be paranoid about AA. Yes, they are new account and inquiry sensitive but unless you are paying small payments on huge balances, they won't be alarmed just because of inquiries. "Inquiries" is a basic reason that doesn't really tell the whole story. AA does not typically happen just because of inquiries, although it can happen for whatever reason the creditor chooses. I would say you are fine.

Even if you aren't fine, there's little point in stressing about it. There's nothing you can do - if they take AA, they take AA. You try and get it restored, or if not you just move on. It's just a card, and you have several others so if they decide they don't want your business, then move on to someone who does.

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I wouldn't be paranoid about AA. Yes, they are new account and inquiry sensitive but unless you are paying small payments on huge balances, they won't be alarmed just because of inquiries. "Inquiries" is a basic reason that doesn't really tell the whole story. AA does not typically happen just because of inquiries, although it can happen for whatever reason the creditor chooses. I would say you are fine.

Even if you aren't fine, there's little point in stressing about it. There's nothing you can do - if they take AA, they take AA. You try and get it restored, or if not you just move on. It's just a card, and you have several others so if they decide they don't want your business, then move on to someone who does.

Thanks kdm, you're right. There is no point in stressing about something I have no control over. Que sera sera!

I do wonder if there is anyone else having this issue with TU?

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Thanks kdm, you're right. There is no point in stressing about something I have no control over. Que sera sera!

I do wonder if there is anyone else having this issue with TU?

JustMe3 do you belong to any credit monitoring service that regularly SPs TU?  Where do you live?

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

JustMe3 do you belong to any credit monitoring service that regularly SPs TU?  Where do you live?

Yes, myFico (3 bureau monitoring), Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, and Cap1's credit tracker. Is that what you mean? Barclay, Discover, and Walmart also pull my TU report every month, but they only show my TU Fico, not anything else like number of accounts or inquiries. And I live in Colorado.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, myFico (3 bureau monitoring), Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, and Cap1's credit tracker. Is that what you mean? Barclay, Discover, and Walmart also pull my TU report every month, but they only show my TU Fico, not anything else like number of accounts or inquiries. And I live in Colorado.

TU is the only bureau that can only handle so many inquiries, whether they're SP or HP.  Once you reach a certain number those inquiries will drop off, even HPs before they are supposed to. TU had made changes earlier in the year to prevent that from happening but some states weren't included in the fix and this week many people had old inquiries added back on when they finally updated it fir their state.  I can't go into any great detail because some of this is taboo on MF but it's possible that's why yours were added back.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

TU is the only bureau that can only handle so many inquiries, whether they're SP or HP.  Once you reach a certain number those inquiries will drop off, even HPs before they are supposed to. TU had made changes earlier in the year to prevent that from happening but some states weren't included in the fix and this week many people had old inquiries added back on when they finally updated it fir their state.  I can't go into any great detail because some of this is taboo on MF but it's possible that's why yours were added back.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I knew those inquiries were supposed to be on there in the first place, but it still sucks to have so many old inquiries pop back up at the same time; (and drop my score too). I must have been one of the states that got the fix this past week Smiley Sad I just hope all of the banks are aware of this problem with TU so that they don't freak out when everybody's inquires come back to life all of the sudden.

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh ok, that makes sense. I knew those inquiries were supposed to be on there in the first place, but it still sucks to have so many old inquiries pop back up at the same time; (and drop my score too). I must have been one of the states that got the fix this past week Smiley Sad I just hope all of the banks are aware of this problem with TU so that they don't freak out when everybody's inquires come back to life all of the sudden.

I don't think you'll run into any problems. 

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.