Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about co branded store cards.

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Questions about co branded store cards.

I have a Sams Discover card, would they close the card if I cancelled my sams club membership or would I still be able to keep it?

Another question, With my $6000 dillards amex, say dillards was to go out of business, do you still get to keep that card, or would GE change it to another type of card?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Questions about co branded store cards.

@ilovelisa wrote:

I have a Sams Discover card, would they close the card if I cancelled my sams club membership or would I still be able to keep it?

Another question, With my $6000 dillards amex, say dillards was to go out of business, do you still get to keep that card, or would GE change it to another type of card?

Not sure how Sams is but with Costco Amex, you would start paying an AF if no more costco membership.

As far as Dillards Amex... usually I would say the account would just be closed (store card) or sometimes if the bank picks up another contract like in Circuit City Case, some were able to go to Best Buy Store Card... we got upgrade to Circuit City Visa and then was able to PC completely away from Circuit City and store card all together... in case of Dillards Amex, I would assume GE would want to hold on to you but don't think they can put you into another store card, so really unsure...

I can't think of any stores that have gone completely under that were with GE and what happened with the cards. they almost always merge.... Macy's!! (They took over TONS of stores over the years.

Message 2 of 3
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Questions about co branded store cards.

It depends on the agreement the creditor has with that store. Sometimes the creditor might just PC you to something else, but there are times they have to close those accounts due to their contract with that store itself, or that they just don't really have or want to issue their customers something else due to different risk exposures and profile. So it really depends on the situation.

In cases where the store also happens to be the lender itself, chances are the account will be closed unless a new lender buys those accounts over or the new owner of that store decides to keep operations going as it used to be.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.