Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about paying bills with credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about paying bills with credit cards

Happy 2016! I am looking for input on paying bills with credit cards.  I would like to take advantage of cash back rewards this year as much as possible.  I am curious if anyone has experience with paying things such as mortgage and car loans with a credit card.  What are the pros and the cons or can it even be done to earn cash back?  I am considering paying one car payment and the mortgage with my USAA card, I would pay the balances as soon as they hit my card so as not to carry a balance.  Has anyone done this?

just to,clarify, I'm not having any sort of financial issues, my credit usage is 1%, I just wanted to find a way to make the money I already spend work for me since I don't really charge enough to take advantage of my cash back rewards.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about paying bills with credit cards

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

Happy 2016! I am looking for input on paying bills with credit cards.  I would like to take advantage of cash back rewards this year as much as possible.  I am curious if anyone has experience with paying things such as mortgage and car loans with a credit card.  What are the pros and the cons or can it even be done to earn cash back?  I am considering paying one car payment and the mortgage with my USAA card, I would pay the balances as soon as they hit my card so as not to carry a balance.  Has anyone done this?

There are several ways of paying auto loans and mortgages with credit cards.  However in most cases, the fees associated with doing so more than offset the rewards earned.  So unless you're doing it to meet a minimum spend requirement it's usually best to stick to making those payments in the conventional way.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plastiq is a friend with mastercard network. They go 1.5% from time to time. Doing this is a terrible habit but really is your cash flow godsend if you need it. I used to flip cars and if this was available back in the day I would have done a lot better. there a lot of deals had to walk from because I was short, but didn't want to cash advance.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

There are several ways of paying auto loans and mortgages with credit cards.  However in most cases, the fees associated with doing so more than offset the rewards earned.  So unless you're doing it to meet a minimum spend requirement it's usually best to stick to making those payments in the conventional way.

My credit usage is 1% and I only leave small balances to report each month.  If I pay the amount charged right after charging it, do I get fees? Do they consider this type of charge differently than say a department store charge?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Plastiq is a friend with mastercard network. They go 1.5% from time to time. Doing this is a terrible habit but really is your cash flow godsend if you need it. I used to flip cars and if this was available back in the day I would have done a lot better. there a lot of deals had to walk from because I was short, but didn't want to cash advance.

I don't have any financial problems.  Credit usage 1% and I pay off before statement each month except a small amount to report to bureaus to show usage. I am just looking to make the payments I already make work for me by maybe getting some of it back.   I'm just not a person who charges much so I'm not getting the rewards from my cards.  So far from what I'm finding its not worth the hassle.  

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

My credit usage is 1% and I only leave small balances to report each month.  If I pay the amount charged right after charging it, do I get fees? Do they consider this type of charge differently than say a department store charge?

The fee Irish is referring to are not from the credit card issuer, they are either from the recipient (where the mortgage company etc charges a "convenience fee" for accepting credit cards) or from the third-party used, such as Plastqi etc.    So paying the cc won't avoid the fee.    From the ccs viewpoint, they are just purchases so no big problems that end.

There are other more complex ways that can be profitable, but these are not discussed here.   If you google "Paying mortgage with credit card" you will find lots of stuff, some of which is even up to date.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous_0723 wrote:

The fee Irish is referring to are not from the credit card issuer, they are either from the recipient (where the mortgage company etc charges a "convenience fee" for accepting credit cards) or from the third-party used, such as Plastqi etc.    So paying the cc won't avoid the fee.    From the ccs viewpoint, they are just purchases so no big problems that end.

There are other more complex ways that can be profitable, but these are not discussed here.   If you google "Paying mortgage with credit card" you will find lots of stuff, some of which is even up to date.

Hey, thank you for the information.  I think I sort of suspected it wasn't the greatest idea.  I am thankful for the input. 

Message 7 of 11
jeffery581
Established Contributor

re:I'm just not a person who charges much so I'm not getting the rewards from my cards.  So far from what I'm finding its not worth the hassle.  

depends on how much a "hassle" is worth to you. Your going to spend your money anyway, why not get small % back. 2 clicks on capital one and account is credited in 2 days, just depends on the fee for using a cc, if any, for anything.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be going the opposite direction, and just paying all my non-debt/pending collection accounts with autopay out of my checking account instead of the two credit cards.  Just use the cards for daily non-bill spending like gas and groceries and emergency spending plus whatever debts need to be kept out of collections. (so far none *knocks on wood*).

Message 9 of 11
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I just looked into paying my rent with a CC to get points.  It would cost me $33 to pay my $990 rent, so it's really more of a measure of last resort for me.  Maybe if I needed it to make a big spend requirement.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.