cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the Discover it card

tag
walterwhite

Questions about the Discover it card

I got a Discover it credit card offer this week and I was thinking about applying. For those that have a Discover it card, does the 5% cash back for the restaurants/gas/movies categories only work for some approved list of merchants or does it work on all transactions from the respected category? For example, can I use the card at small businesses/mom & pop restaurants and still get the 5% cash back? I'm just worried that the 5% cash back only applies to certain stores. 

Also, will there be a hard pull if I apply using the offer code? If so, which bureau does Discovery pull from?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Questions about the Discover it card

@walterwhite wrote:

I got a Discover it credit card offer this week and I was thinking about applying. For those that have a Discover it card, does the 5% cash back for the restaurants/gas/movies categories only work for some approved list of merchants or does it work on all transactions from the respected category? For example, can I use the card at small businesses/mom & pop restaurants and still get the 5% cash back? I'm just worried that the 5% cash back only applies to certain stores. 

Also, will there be a hard pull if I apply using the offer code? If so, which bureau does Discovery pull from?

As long as the merchant account is coded for "Dining" you will get the rewards and most likely they will be coded as dining... not sure how a restaurant would get a merchant account not coded for dining.

Message 2 of 15
Express
Frequent Contributor

@walterwhite wrote:

Yes , it will be a Hard Pull. The offer was just to get you Interested in applying for the card

Credit bureau depenting on what state your in, mine was TU

CL $408,200
Message 3 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Discover usually pulls EQ or TU but of course it's a YMMV

Good luck if you decide to app.
Message 4 of 15
Zz_JC_zZ
New Contributor

I live in the Midwest, Discover pulled my EQU report
Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776

Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Message 5 of 15
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Gl op! Im in cali and they pulled eq...as a rule of thumb any new app is a hp, w exception to a few places Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@walterwhite wrote:

As long as the merchant account is coded for "Dining" you will get the rewards and most likely they will be coded as dining... not sure how a restaurant would get a merchant account not coded for dining.

+1

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

it all depends on how the store codes the transaction. 

discover pulled eq for me in the north east (mass) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 8 of 15
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

You should be able to get the points at ANY restaurant that accepts Discover. Keep in mind though, many restaurants and other businesses DO NOT accept discover.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 9 of 15
walterwhite

Thanks for the responses.

Are there any benefits with applying using an RSVP code or is it just a marketing gimmick? 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.