Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions concerning AMEX personal/business SPG cards

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Questions concerning AMEX personal/business SPG cards

In getting prepared for my app spree later this month, AMEX emailed me the personal SPG 35k offer that apparently some are being targeted for. Because of the uncertainty regarding the SPG card with the merger I had originally ignored the card, but things changed with the repair bills the storms this season caused. Since insurance is paying for it and it's quite a chunk of change (not accounting also for holiday and vacation spend as well) it's allowing me to change on my original plan to get spend bonuses on cards I want to keep and not necessarily dump after the first year.

So, to those that can answer them a few questions regarding these two cards:

1) since the personal and business SPG cards are both technically credit cards (not charge cards) can they both be app'd on the same day or one will be approved and the other pending til some time has passed (or possibly reapply?) before the 2nd app is processed?

2) assuming both are eventually approved will AMEX have any issues on my earning bonuses on two SPG cards even though one is for business and other personal? I do want to maximize the 70k total SPG points I would get once spend is met and don't want any issues

3) assuming I cancel the business SPG once the AF hits the next year, this will not show up on my credit report as well right? plan to keep the personal version if it's still around that is

I do have some more questions but that's more related to my app spree in general that I'll put in another post assuming I can't find the answers myself that is. Thanks for anyone that helps answering my questions!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions concerning AMEX personal/business SPG cards

1. Amex will only approve one credit card per rolling 5 day period, and two credit cards per rolling 90 day period.  This means you need to wait at least 5 days between apps for these two cards.  The rule does not apply to charge cards.  You can only piggyback charge cards with a credit card on the same day.  If you are already an Amex cardmember, it's very likely you will not get hard pulled for either app.

2. There should be no problem with earning a bonus on two cards at the same time.  They are two separate products.

3. Not sure about how/if Amex reports business cards.  If they don't report opening or normal activity, then I don't imagine closing it would show up on your report either.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

1. Amex will only approve one credit card per rolling 5 day period, and two credit cards per rolling 90 day period.  This means you need to wait at least 5 days between apps for these two cards.  The rule does not apply to charge cards.  You can only piggyback charge cards with a credit card on the same day.  If you are already an Amex cardmember, it's very likely you will not get hard pulled for either app.

2. There should be no problem with earning a bonus on two cards at the same time.  They are two separate products.

3. Not sure about how/if Amex reports business cards.  If they don't report opening or normal activity, then I don't imagine closing it would show up on your report either.

All correct.

Regarding #3, Amex does not report business credit cards to your personal credit reports unless you default.

Message 3 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Alright, good to know! Just wanted to make sure particularly with the latter two questions. The Chase Sapphire rule made me wanna to double check to make sure and also with closing a business account didn't want any surprises when I eventually close the card. Thanks you two for your help.

Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I may be incorrect here but hasnt there been a few people who were able to get approved to credit cards from Amex on same day?. For instance an BCE and ED.
Message 5 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yes, it's why I asked. Perhaps someone with more recent experience will hopefully chime in so I can have some data points to work with.
Message 6 of 9
shoegal
Valued Contributor

I applied Wednesday for the Delta Gold Business and the Blue Business Plus and the Delta was approved but the BBP application was cancelled instantly. The 5 day rule @MrDisco99 mentioned still can happen.

Message 7 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Thanks for the data point. So worse case scenario I would just have to re-apply 5 days after the first app it sounds like which is not the end of the world but I would like to have taken care of two birds with one stone as it were lol.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex does not report Business Credit Or Charge Cards on your personal account, If you have a well-established relationship with AMEX they do not perform hard pulls on your credit. This also applies to their banking products. I recently opened a High Yield Savings Account with no hard pull on my credit 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.