Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for PRG holders

tag
navyox
Regular Contributor

Questions for PRG holders

Have you kept it long enough to pay the annual fee?  If not, are you planning on paying the annual fee?   What do you use your MR points for? 

After not getting a MR signup bonus, I'm really torn on whether to keep the card or not.   I like it a lot, and most of my spending is on gas and groceries, but my stable is growing in AF cards.  

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Questions for PRG holders

Yes. I've used mine for travel -Delta and gift cards.
Message 2 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

@navyox wrote:

Have you kept it long enough to pay the annual fee?  If not, are you planning on paying the annual fee?   What do you use your MR points for? 

After not getting a MR signup bonus, I'm really torn on whether to keep the card or not.   I like it a lot, and most of my spending is on gas and groceries, but my stable is growing in AF cards.  

I don't have a PRG.

It's hard to say whether it's worthwhile for you to keep it. Only you can answer this question.

The best way to utilize MR points is to transfer them to the partners, such as airlines and hotels. You will get the highest possible point value that way. However, if you don't travel, then I suppose you can redeem it for gift cards and such, which puts it at 1 cent per point (1% base, 2% for gas and supermarket, 3% airline). Not exactly a good deal especially when the AF is factored in. I would recommend you cancel and get other cards then. 

For gas and groceries, the BCP is your best option. 6% for groceries (6k cap), 3% for gas. There's an AF, but if you spend quite a bit on groceries it's easily worth the money.

The Amazon visa is no limit 2% for gas, groceries, restaurants and 3% for amazon. 

And there's also Sallie Mae, which is 5% for first 250 in gas, 250 in groceries, for each month.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 22
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Cancelling mine before AF in Jan.

Hoping for another 100k MR Plat offer - so I can grab that card up.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 22
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

I'm probably going to cancel and get the CSP in the future.  I don't travel much now so I linked my amex account to amazon for the MR redemption.  You only get $7 per 1000 points though

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 5 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@navyox wrote:

After not getting a MR signup bonus, I'm really torn on whether to keep the card or not.

You can't rely on polling to answer such questions.  Worth is always subjective and you need to determine if the various aspects of the card justify the AF for you.  MR doesn't transfer to United so it's a non-starter for me.  YMMV as with any subjective matter.

Message 6 of 22
navyox
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@navyox wrote:

After not getting a MR signup bonus, I'm really torn on whether to keep the card or not.

You can't rely on polling to answer such questions.  Worth is always subjective and you need to determine if the various aspects of the card justify the AF for you.  MR doesn't transfer to United so it's a non-starter for me.  YMMV as with any subjective matter.

Of course, I am very aware that at the end of the day, the decision is mine alone.   However, I think there is value in seeing how others dealt with a similar decision and what their thought process was.   Perhaps, I'm overlooking a great use of the card or an important consideration in closing it. 

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 7 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Hockeyplayyr

The CSP isn't a good card if you don't travel.
Message 8 of 22
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Hockeyplayyr

The CSP isn't a good card if you don't travel.

For dining is good, but of course, you will have to dine out a whole lot to make up for the AF.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 9 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.