cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on BofA Better Balance Rewards?

tag
uswala
Senior Contributor

Questions on BofA Better Balance Rewards?

I am thinking of asking my wife to get the BofA Better Balance Rewards card soon.

Firstly, is there any minimum per month you need to spend on this card (and pay) to get $25 rewards? As a hypothetical situation can you just say spend a couple of dollars each month and pay off and still get the rewards?

Now coming to her current profile. Her TU score on 10/21/14 was 755 (barclays) around mid of Oct her EX score was 776. No idea on EQ score. She has a total of 9 equiries on EQ with 2 this year (Apr and Oct), 9 enquiries on EX with 1 this year (Oct) and 9 on TU with 5 this year (1 Feb, 3 March (1 was for utility) and 1 in Sep). She has the cards that are listed as Authorized User in my signature. I have the following 2 questions:

1. How likely is she to get the card?

2. Which bureau they pull usually for this card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions on BofA Better Balance Rewards?

@uswala wrote:

I am thinking of asking my wife to get the BofA Better Balance Rewards card soon.

Firstly, is there any minimum per month you need to spend on this card (and pay) to get $25 rewards? As a hypothetical situation can you just say spend a couple of dollars each month and pay off and still get the rewards?

Now coming to her current profile. Her TU score on 10/21/14 was 755 (barclays) around mid of Oct her EX score was 776. No idea on EQ score. She has a total of 9 equiries on EQ with 2 this year (Apr and Oct), 9 enquiries on EX with 1 this year (Oct) and 9 on TU with 5 this year (1 Feb, 3 March (1 was for utility) and 1 in Sep). She has the cards that are listed as Authorized User in my signature. I have the following 2 questions:

1. How likely is she to get the card?

2. Which bureau they pull usually for this card?

BoA normally pulls EX-08 for CC apps.  For CLI's they pull TU-08.  I think she will have a good chance of approval.  The limit will not matter since there is no minimum you have to charge each month (as long as the balance is above 0).  Why don't you have her try the pre-qual site?  It should give her a pretty good idea if she qualifies:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/customized-offers/find-customized-offer.go?subchannel=ECE...

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've charged a little as $1 each month and have always gotten the bonus (I'm up to about $600 total so far, four cards converted to BBR over the last year+).  I've never tried <$1, cause that just seems like asking for trouble.

Sounds like your wife would have a pretty good chance of getting approved.  But AFAIK, the BBR card doesn't have any startup bonus.  I'd suggest rather getting a different BofA card with a bonus, such as the 3-2-1 card, which I think has a $100 offer right now.  Meet the minimum spend quickly, cash out, then convert that card to BBR.  Conversion can be done over the phone or chat.  Takes about 15 minutes, no inquiry or anything.  Sure, you'll miss maybe one quarter of $30, but gain $100 in the bargain, net gain of $70.

Chris.

Message 3 of 10
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Good strategy cpaynter Smiley Wink     

Message 4 of 10
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've charged a little as $1 each month and have always gotten the bonus (I'm up to about $600 total so far, four cards converted to BBR over the last year+).  I've never tried <$1, cause that just seems like asking for trouble.

Sounds like your wife would have a pretty good chance of getting approved.  But AFAIK, the BBR card doesn't have any startup bonus.  I'd suggest rather getting a different BofA card with a bonus, such as the 3-2-1 card, which I think has a $100 offer right now.  Meet the minimum spend quickly, cash out, then convert that card to BBR.  Conversion can be done over the phone or chat.  Takes about 15 minutes, no inquiry or anything.  Sure, you'll miss maybe one quarter of $30, but gain $100 in the bargain, net gain of $70.

Chris.

Can this PC be done from BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card as well? If yes, what happens to your travel rewards, do they convert to casback as well?

Message 5 of 10
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

+1 I plan on doing this next year, Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards and regular Visa. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chris.

Can this PC be done from BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card as well? If yes, what happens to your travel rewards, do they convert to casback as well?

You would lose all accumulated rewards, so you'd need to cash them out first or kiss them goodbye.  I don't have direct experience with the Travel Rewards card (I converted two WorldPoints cards and two CashRewards cards), but I believe the TR can be PC'd to the BBR.  The BBR doesn't have anywhere to accumulate or cashout rewards.  You get a single award each quarter which is automatically applied to you as a statement credit on your credit card account or, better, a BofA checking or savings account.

Chris.

Message 7 of 10
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Can anyone confirm that they will approve another BBR card if you already have one?  Would rather not apply for another card now but ideally would eventually like to end up with two and I currently have a cash rewards I could convert.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 8 of 10
dabossman
Contributor

I tried for a second but I was denied do to them not wanting to lend me any more credit. And a lot of new credit. Nothing brought up about not doing it because I already have card
Mouse over for Limits, Sorted Oldest to Newest
Message 9 of 10
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@dabossman wrote:
I tried for a second but I was denied do to them not wanting to lend me any more credit. And a lot of new credit. Nothing brought up about not doing it because I already have card

I was afraid of that happening to me. I received a low limit like yours and figured that was a borderline approval. Next year around this time I'm going to go for it. I don't recall if I know how much time people should wait between BOA apps. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.