Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on utilization and credit scoring

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Questions on utilization and credit scoring

We'll discover is not true pre qualiify. As it will say same thing if you put Mickey Mouse in name field. If you say more about your scores I will let you know.
Message 21 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding ( Guys please correct me if im wrong) for sample, my 1K CL I can charge as much as 800-900$ but before my due date and my report date I would paid it down to $1-$20 to keep my utilization below 9%.

Yes but the due date doesn't really matter. The reporting date is what matters.  For cards that report on statement date the reporting date will always fall before the due date for the given cycle.  What confuses some is that cycles overlap so that the prior cycle's due date is usually just prior to the next cycle's statement date.

Message 22 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding ( Guys please correct me if im wrong) for sample, my 1K CL I can charge as much as 800-900$ but before my due date and my report date I would paid it down to $1-$20 to keep my utilization below 9%.

Yes but the due date doesn't really matter. The reporting date is what matters.  For cards that report on statement date the reporting date will always fall before the due date for the given cycle.  What confuses some is that cycles overlap so that the prior cycle's due date is usually just prior to the next cycle's statement date.

I am an confused about utilization and scoring in general. My chase card just reported balance where utilization sent from 6 to 12% and my score actually increased so I don't really know if the 9% rule is still in effect 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 23 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

That is not true. My statement date is about 3 days after my due date. So you are right. But if your date is first. Pay then. And let statement cut.
Message 24 of 25
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You should never carry a balance unless you have to, why would you ever want to pay interest? The balance you create should be 1 - 9%, but you should always pay in full every month.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.